Saturday, January 28, 2012

Vision Quest

"You're on a vision quest, man.  You're trying to find your place in the circle."  
~Kuch (Michael Schoeffling)



So I read on Twitter the other day that Matthew Modine was going to be in town for the SpIFF (Spokane International Film Festival).  I've lived here my entire life, minus a 6 month stint and have never heard of it.  So it's only been in existence for 14 years - but still, I've  been here for the past 14 years. So The Spokesman tweeted it and asked who everyone's favorite Matthew Modine character is/was.  I tweeted back "Louden Swain of course! Vision Quest baby!"  So last night, on our way out to get tickets to the special showing of "Vision Quest" at The Garland theater - I saw that Matthew Modine HIMSELF, "favorited" my tweet!  That ranks right up there with Jimmy Fallon "following" me after my tweet response to one of his songs 8 months ago or so.  I told Jeff then and I said it again last night... "OMG... we are so going to be besties!"  I love to make him laugh, but I love just as much - that Jimmy Fallon is following me and that Matthew Modine "favorited" my tweet.  I only found out about Vince Vaughn being out at Northern Quest last night after we had made plans for the evening.  <sigh>  I could have a whole other new "bestie" if only I had known.  <sigh>



An acquaintance of ours - and someone I worked with when I was at Hoopfest, National Book Award Finalist, Jess Walter, coordinated with Matthew and The Garland for the showing and a Q & A after the movie tonight.  I sent him a text thanking him for bringing this little event to fruition.  When we were up buying tickets last night, there were a few  other 40-somethings doing just what we went "up North" to do - and that was to make sure we had secured tickets to tonight's little soiree.  What totally cracked me up is the look on both of the girls faces working in the booth and inside behind the counter.  They were giving us the "OMG, who are these people flocking to buy tickets to a movie we've never heard of, like as if." kind of look.  And I'm not kidding...  they were totally perplexed by us being there the night before this movie.

If you've lived in Spokane and are a certain age - you KNOW what "Vision Quest" is and you assume everyone knows what it is.  And then my 18 year old says "What's "Vision Quest?" and I knew then I had failed my kids.  For the love of god - their school is in it and someone that Jeff and I went to Ferris with as well.  For shame.  And so the next family weekend we get - That's right, "Vision Quest" will be on the big screen downstairs, popcorn, milkduds, skittles... you name it.  It's on!  And they WILL watch it.  And they WILL like it.  

And then I remember... they are 18, 20 and 22.  Making them do anything is going to be tough.  I see another bribe in the future.  (Shhh - don't tell the dad.)

I'm an 80's girl through and through so going to see "Vision Quest" on the big screen in 2012?  No brainer!  The idea and efforts to help raise money for The Milk Bottle and Ferguson's to rebuild after the fire in late September is noble and I'm certain there will be a packed house tonight.  

Dream alert!  Dream alert!  Wouldn't it be way cool if Michael Schoeffling showed up?  Who doesn't love Kuch/Jake Ryan (16 Candles).  I read somewhere he's happily married and makes upper end furniture in the New York area.  Stud.  


Oh Jake Ryan...


So the soundtrack is great, the story is good, where it is filmed is fantastic - and us 40 somethings' all get to go back in time a little tonight.  Something different and unexpected to look forward to.  


No comments: