Thursday, January 26, 2012

Notes & Names

I'm going to go with "Names" first.



I'm not super good with names.  I recognize faces, but names I'm not real good with... so starting a new job with 45 people is going to take some time.  What sucks is when they know your name and use it in a daily salutation!  I've been so consumed with learning the job that names were completely put on the back burner.

But today I got lucky!  I now have two new names learned.  

Story 1:  The fun spirited, a bit sarcastic like me, gal came to talk to my roommate at work and I (from the other side of the wall) made a few snarkey comments to which this gal needed to come to my side and reply to.  When she got there, we bantered and then she honestly said "Hey, I'm not super good with names and I know you've been here like 3 weeks or a month or something, but...".  So I - as quick as they come to me said "My name is Jenny."  I just so happened to have the 80's station on Pandora playing so she said... "Oh, I can totally remember that.  Like the 80's song.  I got it!"  And she was so enthusiastic about it.  At this point I really did try to interject to tell her that that really is NOT my name but she had walked back to Meg and was still chattering along.  Finally, when she came up for air I said across the wall again "Uhhh, my name isn't Jenny."  Quiet.  More quiet.  And then Meg laughed.  (I really can't believe she held it in when I said it in the first place.)  So right about now, because everyone thought that was a hoot and saying that I fit right in - it is safe to say I am not a Top 10 favorite person of Ronell's.  In fact, she says she's going to call me "Jenny" from now on.  Thank god I picked Jenny and kept a straight face.  I'd be kicking myself if I'd have picked Bertha, Gertrude, Aunt Jemima for sure.  At least "Jenny" could fit if I have to wear it.  And it appears I do.  So anyhow - I didn't admit to Ronell that I didn't know her name at that point - so the most fabulous thing about this is - that the story was told several times over throughout the morning in the hall and her name was, of course, always mentioned.  So... now I know who Ronell is.  Check one.

Story 2:  Another new co-worker of mine stepped into my corner and said "I know someone you know!".  This is a double edged sword - I know a lot of people and a lot of people know me and it's safe to say we don't all like each other or REALLY know each other...  so then you wait and cautiously ask, eyebrows up, semi-concerned, semi-intrigued "Oh yah, who's that?"  So she told me who and how they know each other and I couldn't help but wonder as she was speaking how "that person" knew that I was working at KAYU now.  And I realized I "woke up" from that as soon as she said "And I said to myself, Kim, you should know his name."  HA!!!  Kim!  So now I know Ronell and Kim.  I might be able to pull one more name out of my ars this afternoon.  Maybe even 2.  But - let's not go overboard, shall we?

And then there's NOTES:



When I pulled up today to get the mail and spend some quality time with my amazing hounds - I found a card from the gal I replaced at EWU for my short stint.  She rocks!  Anyhow - we've become friends after all of that hullabaloo out there and have a mutual friend or 3 - but our "lives" won't really intermingle all that much because we are just in different "phases" with kids, travel, jobs, etc.  So I get this note from her.  I'm thinking as I open it that it's probably a late Christmas/Holiday/New Year greeting, in reply to the card I sent at Christmas.  But as I open it - it's simply a hand written note card.  Which I totally, totally LOVED!  It's just like she said - and it's not that I haven't thought it before:  We live in a texting/email world and sometimes it's just nice to get something in the mail.  And so it was.  And part of me wants to pick that up and run with it as well.  But a year without facebook, a daily blog, remembering (or trying) everyone's birthdays... Can I really take on another gig?  Will it help me with my Cabo Diet results?  That's the main thing...  

So shout out to Stacy - you are most fabulous!

No comments: