Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines Day 2012

Valentines Day isn't especially special for me.  It's kind of like St. Patricks Day and Yom Kippur if you ask me.  If you don't get the day off or a vacation day out of it, then.. meh.

So Jeff got me a card and I gave him a new shirt...  out of the box that was sitting in the guest room.  That's as big as it needs to get for me.  I did manage to get a care package off to Ryan a week ago because there's a group of moms that put together care packages for our college boys on Halloween, Valentines and Finals (Ryans' age)... and "Little" Jeff has a new apartment, but is apparently still receiving his mail at the old apartment (don't ask) so I didn't send him anything - tho' I'm hoping to see him this weekend.  Zach... I sent The Dad to pick up an iTunes card for Zach and a candy bar.  The Dad picked out a bag of 100,000 Grand Bars to go with the iTunes card.

And - just like The Dad would do - he set the bag on his nightstand.  Fast forward to this morning, upon my return from the club, I found that Jack, Dan and Boone decided that those must have been for them... so instead of waiting for us to get home and give them to them, they just went for it.  Bless their little doggy hearts... and tonight, let The Dad enjoy their little doggy fa...

Nevermind.  

Moving on.  It snowed in The Can today.  Just when I thought we were done...  but I remembered as I sat down to write this - that 22 years ago it snowed on Valentines Day.  And snowed and snowed and snowed.  We had a green Christmas that year and no snow.  Jeffrey was 2 months old and Jeff was the student trainer for the EWU Men's Basketball team and had traveled to Utah with the team.  I was staying at his apartment in Cheney (yes... we had Jeffrey BEFORE we got married.  But don't tell anyone. It's a secret.)  with his college pal and our good friend Rich.  It snowed and snowed and snowed and we were pretty much "grounded" in Cheney for a few days until Jeff got home.  22 Years ago today.  I still got it.  I'll worry when I'm more like my mom and I can't remember that I opened a Valentines card from my daughter TODAY with a Starbucks card in it.  That's when there's cause for concern.

Which brings me to a bit of a branch in my "I'm remembering everybody's birthday this year" resolution.  I don't have any February birthdays - so I went with Valentines.  I sent out some of the cute boxed valentines (Toy Story theme) to nieces and nephews with either Starbucks cards or McDonalds and then "regular" Valentines to the parental units with Starbucks... there were some Toy Story valentines just sent through the mail for fun.   I sort of messed up on a morning workout where I told our pal Greg we'd do the class (remember the one where we can't walk for 3 days after?), so he got one which meant I had to get Linda one... and so on and so forth.  

So I was telling Jeff this tonight and he said "So... you were putting together cards and Starbucks and stamps and I got a t-shirt from the room across the hall?"

Can you feel... the love tonight...




No comments: