Thursday, February 9, 2012

Na Na Na Na... Na Na Na Na.... Hey hey hey...

So the Ferris Saxons came out of the Rubber Chicken contest - winners - all the way around. Girls basketball team won, boys team won, and all of the kids involved in the "spirit competition" won.  There were three really great parts to the eventful night at the Arena.

1 - The girls basketball team led the entire game.  This is a big feat as the girls program has been rebuilding for a few years now and many of their losses were winnable.  But to win "this" game, for them, their coaches, the parents, the coaches spouses... this is a huge win.  And it made me very happy to watch it happen.

2 - The work that the guy "cheerers" put in starting back in late November or early December until last night is... well, it's amazing.  These "macho" boys spend Monday nights for 10 weeks and really the last two weeks a few early mornings and a few extra after school practices, learning how to support, toss, catch the girls with their acrobatics and routines and even learn their own little routine - and as a parent, I was proud.  It's not how or where I envisioned Zach would be for his senior rubber chicken - what with being a great athlete and tough basketball player, but it all worked out great.  And as I was telling my friend this morning - I have come to believe that the kids who suffer disappointment now (not referring to Zach, but sadly, another unfortunate casualty last night), early on in their lives, when they want something so bad they can taste it and get disappointed, or are treated unfairly... Those kids, post high school, are sure to find great success because they will have learned to deal with disappointment and know what they need to do in other, new avenues of life, to NOT have to feel like "that" again.  And so it was that Zach was a Rubber Chicken cheer "dude" and he did really well.  All of the boys did.

3 - This marked the 3rd Minn boy who was a part of winning "Chuck" during his senior year.  I can't tell you during all of these years when Ferris had "Chuck" or not - but I can tell you that all three of our boys get to leave high school with that fun accomplishment from their senior year.  I don't know if they will be able to tell you they won it in 23 years - and I say that because, I don't know if my class won it in 1988 or not.  I don't know if The Dad knows if his class won it in 86...  So for now, it's just fun trivia.

Last night marked the end of us seeing Ferris basketball games.  That's it.  Poof.  It's over.  Yes, Ferris has another game or two in the playoffs coming to them - but now that it's districts and my GSL card won't get me in the door - I'm not as likely to attend them.  And next year - I have no need to buy the GSL cards.  So, last night marked the end of 8 years of buying that card.  Poof - again.  

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic at this moment, knowing that it's gone, what it's all been like - good and bad and am a touch saddened.  But it's only a moment before I think...

"Right on!  Move on!  Let's Goooooo!"  

No comments: