Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Let's Pretend...

You remember when you were little and you wanted to play "pretend house", "pretend doctor", "pretend singer/movie star", smoke "pretend cigarettes" because that was sooooo cool?  You remember those times?

What the (*@*&^ were we thinking?!?!?!?

I've been playing "pretend" a lot lately - with regards to one thing more than most others.  You see, since December I think I've racked up roughly 47 mailers (magazines) that I'm sure I just have to look through!    About 4 weeks ago I actually sifted through them and recycled all of the ones that had Christmas "themes" and last night before I went to my massage appointment I shuffled through them again to make sure there were no "Valentines" based ads/magazines.  I figured when I got home - since I had made dinner, started and folded laundry at lunch and even started to clear the guest bedroom of all of it's ugliness - that I could return from my appointment and while waiting for "The Voice" and "Smash" to come on, I could FINALLY thumb through them to see what I might not be able to live without.

Well...  that's what I pretend I'm going to do... at least 4 times a week.  On the days I don't get to pretend I'm going to do that - I move that stack of V.I.M.'s from one spot to another (Okay mom... "very important magazines"... got it?)  And when I'm not moving the v.i.m.'s around I'm NOT pretending to do laundry.  I'm NOT pretending to pick up the miscellaneous crumbs and pieces of garbage that everybody else in this house KNOWS is garbage or crumbs but leave them sitting there for the "invisible house cleaner" to pick up.  So many things I'm NOT pretending to do...

I might have to make an appointment with a "pretend house doctor", write it on the calendar and while I'm waiting for the pretend appointment, I'll sit in the living room with my magazines and thumb through them.  And when The dad or #3 son walk in and ask what's for dinner or where they put their car keys (this actually doesn't apply to #3 son) I will pretend I can't hear them, since I'll be in a pretend waiting room... NOT pretending to look at my ginormous stack of V.I.M's.  (You still remember what that stands for mom?  Good girl!)


No comments: