Thursday, February 2, 2012

Bring It On Punxsutawney Phil!

It has been reported that Punxsutawney Phil, or P.P. - as I'd like to refer to him today, crawled out of his space, saw his shadow which means, somehow, that we *get* to enjoy 6 more weeks of winter.

I have a few thoughts on this:

1) Why did Mother Nature forego her rights to rule the weather on "Groundhogs' Day" and possibly the 6 weeks that follow?  How come no one questions this?  When will there be a movie made about the very day that it "all went down" between Lady Weather Maker and some rodent that's lived for way more years than any rodent should?  I mean - something had to happen to make us all hold our breaths on this day, early in the morning, every year.  Right?

2) Why are humans so eager to jump on the Groundhog Express and believe that a groundhog dictates, on one day, every year, WHAT we should expect in the coming weeks?  A longer winter or... not.  And usually - it's 6 more precious weeks of cold n' sh*t.  And when I say cold - that applies to everywhere because even the people in Arizona, Texas, Florida will wear jackets when it's 74.  Here in The Can... we'll be wearing sports bras and dental floss in 74 degree weather - but, you get what I'm saying.  Winter is winter - no matter where you are.  Of course, winter in Alaska likely has to be the worst place ever. It's O'Dark Thirty all day and night long.  Add butt-cold on top of that and it's gotta be comparable to life in the underworld.  In my opinion anyhow.  With Arizona blood - Alaska is definitely on my "NEVER....  EVER... on my bucket list" of things to do, places to go.  

3) Next up:  If a Groundhog has his own day - where he predicts the weather and all of the people of the world await his "word"...  why don't more rodents, animals, insects have their own day?  What about "Black Widow Day" - you know, the day that if the widow catches a fly in her web, it dictates that all of the wives in the world can take all of the money out of their fly's, I mean husbands' wallet. Anytime, any day, for the next 6 weeks.  Or "Sloth Day"?  If the sloth moves at all in an hours time - anyone with an X-Box in their house doesn't have to go to work the next day?  I think there's potential for a lot of animals to have their own day.  I guess they just have to have a war with a supernatural being to bring it to fruition.  <shrug>

Speaking of sloths - if you haven't seen this - Jeff showed it to me on Wednesday and while I don't love Kristen Bell, I do love Dax Shepard - so I watched.  And it totally made me love Kristen Bell.  And I do still love Dax Shepard too!  Enjoy!

Ellen is hysterical too.  

No comments: