Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dan The Dog & His Sensitive Stomach

For about a week and a half now - in the mornings, we've been waking up to Dan's stomach just gurgling and churning.  Actually it's only been like 4 out of the last 10 days.  He doesn't eat and then I worry that when I come home at lunch, I'm going to find throw up all over the place.  We've had some of the special diet dog food from the vet for occasions such as these so usually about an hour after the other "boys" eat, Dan eats that.  And he's fine.  Annnnd - I have yet to find throw up when I come home.

But his gurgling and churning actually wake me up.  On top of that, he can't tell me what's wrong!  

Today was one of those days.  I don't much mind it on work days because - I have to get up to head to the club anyhow.  But on days I can "sleep in" until 630 or 7 - well those only come along twice a week.  The Dad can sleep through a sonic boom, an earthquake and even when a dog farts on the bed...  but I can't.  Today - I was not going to be bested by this - so I folded the pillow over my head as Dan The Dog and The Dad slept through the obnoxiously loud gurgling.  And it worked until the right arm holding the pillow over my ear fell asleep and I moved and hit myself in the face.  Not cool.  Followed by my request  to remove himself from my bed, being ignored.  <sigh>

We were out of the special food so after our workout this morning I ran to Petco for special food.  I searched and searched for just the right thing and found a "Sensitive Stomach" food for dogs BUT it was for ages 1-6.  There was not one for ages 7 and Up, or mature dogs, or Adult dogs with sensitive, gurgling stomachs...  I found dogfood specifically for boxers, dachsunds, german shepards and yorkshire terriers though.  

I settled on a chicken, rice and oatmeal dry food with four cans of canned food - just in case.  When I got home - we determined we'd put a little of the dry food in a bowl and mix it with a skoche of the canned food... and after Dan licked the bowl clean and smiled up at us, we knew then - we are screwed.  We'll be "mixing" his little entree up each night and morning and probably eventually cooking up some gravy and extra minute rice to throw in there.  And why stop there?  I mean - how can that  be fair to the other dogs?  Right?

Of course, the dog with the non-dog name is the dog with sensitivity issues...  I suppose that stands to reason.  



Little Dan.  Dan the Man.  Stinky Dan.  Dan the Dog.  Mingus...  This better work.

Now - I can see that Zach has found "Employee of the Month" on TV now and I just love Dax Shepard so I'm gonna go take in the rest of the movie with another one of my babies.  The kind with only 2 legs.  Until his stomach starts gurgling and I need to make dinner.  


No comments: