Sunday, February 5, 2012

Foiled on Superbowl Sunday!!!

So we did this remodel a year and a half ago - (shout out to Corey Condron of Condron Homes - and gang - we love our house! http://condronhomes.com/) and I did a really good job spending money on it.  Once we had the new cabinets - it wasn't as if we could put the 15 year old plates with the "no way does that match" blue trim in the new plate rack - thus, new plates, etc.  You get where I'm going with this.  The office, kitchen, dining room, outer breezeway that's now inside, deck, stairs, living room, upstairs bathroom and downstairs TV room were all *touched* by the remodel.  Heck, so was the garage I guess.  

Jeff really let me do my thing as I picked out granite, sinks, backsplash, carpet, flooring, hardware... you name it - on my own.  The one thing he demanded was his decision - and I mean it - demanded...  was the upstairs TV and the downstairs TV room.  Well technology anyhow.  I was still the brains/decorater/main $$ spender for the new couches.  Duh!  He picked out the same TV that my parents have (probably "had" - as they blow through new technology and electronics faster than you can spell "wingardium leviosa".  If you don't know "Harry Potter" then just nevermind).  He ordered a "screen" for the basement that really isn't a "screen" in technical terms, but it's mounted and it's something like 7 feet wide by 4 1/2 feet tall.  He had a sound system put in and had all of the "stuff" hooked up to it all.  Xbox, DVD player, Comcast box...  So for a year it's been the boys "game room".  When they're all home or the older college boys are home for break and are just chillin - it's not uncommon to hear lots of swear words whilst people die on "Modern Warfare" or "Halo" or whatever shoot-em-up, kill em game is most popular at the time.

The dad is always asking me if I want to go down and watch a movie or a game if the boys aren't around or they just haven't yet taken up "residence" in that room.  I usually respond with a "Nah... I like it up here."  And he's usually dejected.  He's soooo proud of that room.  

So a few weeks ago for the NFC Title game I agreed to watch the game downstairs.  

And I liked it.

And then a few days later we watched a movie down there.

And I liked it... again.

Now we usually go to a Superbowl party or two and if we don't go to one, we're hosting one.  I knew if we invited people over this year - that being upstairs and in the kitchen area is just "easier" and going somewhere meant getting stuff all prepared and I was easily talking myself out of either.  Secretly - between me and my keyboard here - it's because I wanted to watch the game downstairs on the big screen!  And so it was set.  And I was SURE that Zach would be going to the same friends house who have hosted Superbowl most years that I can remember.  So we were going to have that room all to ourselves... with our three pups and I was going to get ONE pizza from Famous Eds and it was going to be a most excellent, relaxed Superbowl - EVER.

And then at 11:30pm last night - Zach called to tell us that the people that always have the SB party are in fact, NOT having one this year - that they were electing to do as I was anticipating doing and that was all swell.  I thought.  For about 2 seconds more it was fine.  And then he said it: "So if it's alright, I'm going to have the guys to our house and we'll watch it downstairs."

MOTY "Huh.  Come again?"

BUT - it's okay.  Really.  Why?  Because this is the LAST Superbowl where I GET to have a house full of amazing, full of life, polite, fun boys (and girls - shrug?).  

Which brings it all back to how sucky it is to know my youngest is graduating from high school and leaving my "nest" in mere months.  

With that said - GO GIANTS!  

No comments: