Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pledge, Poinsettias and Props.


We went to a holiday party last night, had a fabulous meal.  Everyone was told to select a poinsettia to bring home - there were dozens!  I had already ordered mine from Ferris as one of the Senior All Nighter fundraisers and had them placed accordingly in my home, the beautiful burgundy ones... but the selection at the party was traditional reds with several white ones mixed in.  Fearing the red would clash with the burgundy ones I have here at home, I went with white.  Here's the kicker - these are really more of a tree, versus a plant.  It is bigger than all of my dogs.  (Mind you, Boone is a 90 pound yellow lab). The poinsettia doesn't weigh that much, but the friggin plant is as big as that dog. It's beautiful, but I'm considering axing the Christmas tree idea this year as I'm not sure I have room anymore!


You can see in the photo that it is taller than the table next to the couch and nearly as tall as the couch.  That is not the photo playing tricks on your eyes.  I have never seen a poinsettia like this.  

It's lovely.  I'm thrilled to have it.  I only hope that it doesn't grow.  If only I still had a cat... (Cat owners who have ever had a poinsettia know what this means.)

At this very same soiree I learned a tip for my granite countertops and sink.  I've just been wiping them down for a good year and 2 months now, keeping them clean and thinking that I'd just gotten "used to" my kitchen.  That it's not "popping" and being gorgeous anymore was just me going through the motions.  But alas!  Ryan and Beth last night were talking about their granite sink (which I also have) and said that they love how it shines when they use some pledge in it before a party or gathering.  "Pardon me?" I said.  "Oh yeah... pledge in the sink and on your granite countertops. It's amazing."  I was stumped.  How is it that the oodles of people I know with granite have never, ever, ever ever ever, told me about using pledge on my granite?  

So of course, I awoke to the thought this morning, stumbled out of bed, threw on my kerchief and made Jeff put on a cap and off to the kitchen we flew like a... a... well, let's just say he wasn't all happy go lucky when I made him come look at how amazing PLEDGE is on the counters!  Oh how they glistened and shone.  I guess I understand why he wasn't thrilled, after all, it was 5:18 AM and his only day to sleep in.  Actually, it wasn't that early at all.  He does get kudos for pretending to notice the difference - though there IS a huge difference!

So ladies (and gentlemen) - Pledge is fabulous on granite.  I have been told you can get the "for granite" cleaner/polish, but that they found this works "better".  Brilliant!

Poinsettias, Pledge and topping off todays' post with "Props" going to our oldest for once again being named the Scholar Athlete of the Month out at EWU.  He's also been nominated for the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision Athletics Directors Association Academic All-Star Team, which will be announced in January. smarty Pants. And also to Ryan for sitting at the scorers' table during the WSU mens' basketball game - being in charge of tweeting scores and stats to the 900+ followers.  He gained 6 new followers during the game!  The kid is living the dream!  Bravo!

I'm having technical difficulties and can't seem to correct it and don't really want to try anymore so this is me - signing off!

No comments: