Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December 6, 1989 & December 6, 1993

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Jeffrey David (22) & Zachary James (18)

December 6, 1989:
So around midnight I began to do the work of bringing my first son into the world.  I had only gained 19 1/2 pounds, so my mother told me I was going to have a teeny baby.  We pushed and pushed and pushed and Jeff watched late night television all the while as well.  As no progress was being made, Doc Sestero sent a young doctor in the making for the forceps "kit", so to speak.  And the giant salad servers worked and out came a bouncing baby boy.  Only he wasn't as tiny as mother said the baby would be.  After breaking my tailbone, "little" Jeffrey David weighed in at 9 lbs, 12 oz.  When he first entered the world, interestingly enough - Dr. Sestero said "Wow... linebacker!"  Sure enough, he is and has been some sort of "back" on the football field.  

A very bright child, and even smarter young man, an uber competitor and a presence that  commands attention wherever he goes, whatever he does.  He is grown and doesn't need mom as much these days - but when he does, I take those moments and hold them tight.  It is his 22nd birthday and his day to celebrate and have gifts, love, laughter and singing bestowed upon him - but what he doesn't know, is that today, is really a gift to me.  I was the one lucky enough to have been given him.

December 6, 1993:
So once Jeff got a hold of our parents and they had relieved the neighbors from "sleeping child duty", nerves were calmed and the whole "process" was starting.  There was a point at about 5 AM that I was told I might just be too far along and was not going to get the epidural.  I'm pretty sure the look on my face, the squeeze Jeff felt on his hand, persuaded him to remind them that it is in my paperwork and they need to get the anesthesiologist up to the room pronto.  The nurse kept giving me the "not sure" number which I continued to remind them that this was their mess up and by god if I didn't get the epidural...  yada yada yada - pregnant woman rants.

Epidural in, no surprises through this labor and delivery.  No snag a bag, no 3 week early induction (Ryan) with a towel strapped to my belly all night long after having been manually turned... just humming along.  So easy, in fact that just shortly after 7:50 in the morning they told me the doctor would be in shortly and it was time to start pushing.  In fact, it would be great if we could time it so that there's only a few pushes when doctor walks in.  Hmmm... So my question is:  Is this about me and my 3rd baby boy, or what's convenient for the doctor?  No matter - at 8:11 A.M., bouncing baby Zachary James joined in on the Minn Family Funhouse, weighing in at 7 lbs, 12 oz.  THANK GOD my kids got smaller after child number one.  

He was longer, leaner than the other two were when they were born, which, given where he's at now - just over 6'3" and still a bean pole, is fitting.  He has smiling eyes and a quick wit, sense of humor beyond his years (since kindergarten) and a quiet, strong heart.  He makes me laugh every day, if even just by laughing at something he's read or watching on TV downstairs.  And today, he becomes an adult.  But for me... he will always be my baby boy.  My very tall, adult, baby boy.

When God made the world
With it's mountains and seas
Rivers and valleys and flowers and trees

He paused for a while
After doing so much
And thoughtfully added
One last loving touch

He made little boys
With their warm, cheerful ways
To add special pleasure
And fun to the days

He made each one thoughtful
And trusting and giving
Gentle and kind
With a great love for living

And He knew that on Earth
There would always be joy
In the heart and the smile
Of a dear little boy

No comments: