Tuesday, May 1, 2012

That "Prom" Time of Year...

26 Years Ago I went to The Dad's prom - "Don't You Forget About Me".  He a senior, myself a sophomore.


This was back in the days when the schools had a Junior prom and then a month later, the Senior prom.  I didn't attend my Junior prom because I was still pining away for The Dad and wouldn't have dreamed of going with someone other than him.  Even though we were "off and on" a lot.


Two years later, I was a part of the decorating committee for the Class of 1988 Senior Prom, "I've Had The Time of My Life".  The Dad and I were "on" and I wished upon many stars that he would agree to come (all the way) back from Cheney/EWU to take me to my prom.  But he was a sophomore in college and thought it would be uncomfortable to go being "so much older".  So that night he took me to dinner at Cyrus O'Learys (a main Spokane fixture until about 3 months ago) and then to see "Rocky IV" at the State Theater, a building that gave way to a new "better" venue...  If you could call it that.


I remember this.  I remember this every. single. year.  Especially come "prom season" in The Can.


We drove downtown last weekend and wondered why in the heck it seemed so busy... and I saw them before The Dad did... the prom "goers".  He won't admit it to you, but if he *could* remember to stay as far away from downtown The Can or nice-ish restaurants  this time of year - he would!  Because that whole "prom" story you hear about, or may have heard about from jilted girls around the world - who never attended their prom, though it doesn't define "them", we always remember.


And we especially remember if we had a boyfriend at the time.


So this weekend marks the last Senior Prom for the Minn Boys.  Wack was not going until yesterday.  Nothing like waiting until 4 days before the prom to cram in getting a tux, figuring out dinner plans, ASK the girl, go to school, play tennis, cram for tests, write papers, and so on...   We had all grown to accept that Zach was not going, and while that saddened me, I was finding comfort in knowing I would not be the only one in this family that didn't attend their prom.  


Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled that Zach is going.  I also know that he could have NOT gone and possibly not remembered 26 years later, that he didn't go.  Unlike WOTY.  If The Dad is lucky, I'll have early onset of alzheimers and prom memories will be the first to go.


Scratch that - memories that I didn't GO to prom will be the first to go.


He will try to tell you that I DID go to a prom. Yes.  His.  But barely...  though that's an entirely different story.  And not worth the mention.  


At least not today anyhow.

No comments: