Friday, May 18, 2012

CONGRATULATIONS Blue Eyes!!!

A few days ago, Blue Eyes was a skoche exasperated by an email he received that the certification notification was being held up by the Communications College at WSU due to technical difficulties.  He was worked up about it because if the notification that he had been certified came across while he works (4:45AM to 1:PM) then everyone else would get registered for the classes and he might have a harder time getting the classes he needs.  But... he was fine because at least everyone was in this same boat.  Mostly.  Right?  We didn't know.

The next day, a nice hot day in The Can, he got home from work, went swimming at a friends and came home, checked his email - nothing.  Then got on The BookFace.  According to several postings by people he knows, they had gotten in.  He was finding nothing and was getting upset.  I tried to ask problem solving questions:

MOTY - Are they notifying people in waves, maybe?
B.E. - No.
MOTY - Maybe it went to a different email account?
B.E. - Mom.  No.  That's not it.
MOTY - Well, online it says something about a test.  Did you take that test?
B.E. - No.  My adviser said I didn't have to.  That I satisfied it with a class I took.
MOTY/SkOTY (Skeptic of the year) - Well, do you have anything that shows the adviser told you you didn't have to take it.
B.E. - Mom...  (in that oh-so-special-tone), they're changing the certification process, I know I am fine.
MOTY/SkOTY - Well, but do you, just in case?
B.E. - (Exit stage left - aka, to room.  Slam door)

He's 20 years old.  The Dad tries to calm MOTY and says "He can call tomorrow, we'll just see what happens then."

I'm surprised by my skin color sometimes.  Yes, I just said that.  Because if you 'fin to hurt my cubs, I'm gonna kick someones ass.  (I am so bad at my slang.)

So I did what I did - and Blue Eyes knows this.  I emailed the only contact on the Edward R. Murrow School of Communications application page and simply asked - "if the students that did NOT get in, would be notified?"  I went on to say that where the University of Washington sends acceptance letters - they send the denial letters at the same time - which makes sense so kids can make a decision and not hang in limbo. 

In Ryan's world - kids were signing up for classes and he didn't get in.  Shock and disbelief were setting in and I was sad for him.  I'll go further to say - that the kids applying to get in, don't register for classes in the spring, same as everyone else because they need "these" classes.  Any classes, assuming he didn't get in, that he wanted to take for a second major would be full.  So this was major sucky.

I must have crafted my email to Sandra well enough - that I got a nice, lengthy explanation about the new student information system that was being implemented at the same time the new certification system and it was wreaking some havoc.  She was sorry and said that she would be notifying everyone the next day whether they were in or not AND that the kids that thought they were in, may not really be due to the glitches.  They did not receive notification, rather, they were sitting watching their "status" on their account.  I totally believed that.  Absolutely.

The next day:




So - Congratulations Ryno Minn for your certification into The Edward R. Murrow College of Communications at Washington State University!


It's as it should be.  And we all slept better that night thanks to MOTY.



No comments: