Sunday, May 13, 2012

Best. Mothers. Day. Ever.

Once upon a time a girl who wasn't married, had a baby.  15 months later, she married The Dad.  13 months after that, she had another. 20 months after that - she had another one.

I believe there's a reason for everything.  By the time I was 30, I'd had a few surgeries on some "parts" that would have made it difficult to have babies from that point on.  God gave me #7 when I was, for all intents and purposes, beyond ill prepared to start having children. But I made him my sole focus in life.  And then Blue Eyes... then Zach Attack.  

I had three bouncing baby boys by the time I was 24.  We would often be asked to go to movies or out with 30 minutes notice...  when you have 2 kids, the grandparents might go for it on that of short notice, but once you have 3, not so much.  At least not ours.  Note to self:  My kids grew up too fast - you've all heard me say, so if they have 7 kids, we WILL absolutely drop everything to watch them!  (Sidenote, hopefully The Dad doesn't read this post.)  The only other exception would be if I was invited to attend at dinner at George Clooney's house with President Obama.  Or without the Prez.  THIS would be a conflict to be sure.

I worry about my boys all of the time.  My mother told me on more than one occasion you don't stop worrying about your kids just because they are no longer under your roof - and that just sucks.  It's a powerless feeling often and I'm a control freak.  It's got to be something short of a miracle that The Dad hasn't had to put me in a straight jacket yet and feed me silly pills or pills that make me feel silly.

I haven't been a perfect parent, sometimes I think I was probably downright awful.  I'm sure the boys thought so too.  No... I don't think I was, I know I was.  Stress, yelling, tears, fights, stress, more stress.

My last surgery on all of these "parts" was just over a year ago.  My hormone levels have been practically to the moon and that's just not fun for anyone, myself included.  All through the years I've had these sorts of issues.  There was no telling when or what was going to be the trigger point of the day... Mothers Day, Christmas, Yom Kippur... you name it.  I am quite certain that all of us have at one time or another, wished that MOTY would sleep through M.D.  I sometimes wished it of myself as well.

So over the course of the last 8 months or so, I've found that "good" spot with my meds (okay, seriously, a drop of lotion), my weight, my family.  Some "balance" after 22 years.  Say what?

So unlike many moms, today when The Dad rolled over in bed and asked if I wanted breakfast in bed, I said:

MOTY:  "No. I'm going to hop out of bed, quietly get ready to go to the d.p. (dog park) and then when we get home, I'll mow the backyard.
The Dad:  "I'll mow, or one of the boys will."
MOTY:  "No, I like to mow it, besides it's my Sunday workout.  You can make the breakfast then."

When we got the the dog park (and yes, I have to pretend I'm NOT getting ready for the dog park, otherwise, somehow, the friggin dogs KNOW I'm getting ready for the dog park and I'm pretty sure that China can hear them barking, screeching and pawing to get to the car.) there was NO ONE there.  That is super boring for Jack, Dan and Boone, let me tell you! 

When we got home I mowed the backyard...  This is a HILL, just FYI.


We ate breakfast with our good friend Greg who brought me a Mothers Day green tea lemonade from the best place on earth (Starbucks) and then raced off to see "The Avengers" with the boys.  Well... we sent Blue Eyes and Wack down to save seats (thank goodness) while we waited for #7 to get into town.  It was super super entertaining.  I mean... SUPER entertaining.  We will OWN that movie.  No one pissed or moaned at MOTY's choice in movie, or the 11:30 am showing.  

Then a visit from the best ever S.I.L.OTY and NOTY, a few beverages on the deck,  dinner made by The Dad... with the exception of the potato salad, garlic bread and apple pie (he BBQ'd the steak), but the best part was every dish I made in making those items, was cleaned up by the dad!!  Tonight is the last ever "Desperate Housewives".  It's been a great day.

I think, no I'm sure - it's the first Mothers Day where I didn't have an expectation or desire or want.  Maybe part of that is because I cracked a whip on Saturday, nicely requesting for The Dad to pick up some bark for the front yard because "hey, it's Mothers Day tomorrow".  (Worked like a charm)  So while he did that I planted all of my flower pots and beds with colors I've never used together before... Seeing as I have a graduation party to throw in a few weeks, for a last child heading to the University of Washington, well... I thought it fitting to do away with the RED this year and went with purple and gold.  

A rose.  A starbucks card.  A movie with 4 amazing men.  A great meal.  A perfect sunny day.  So much to look forward to in the coming weeks - yet so much I'm anxious about.  I felt today, for the first time in a long time - that I am going to survive this "last child graduating" thing.  If only every Sunday could be a Mothers Day like today.  

Thank you too all my Minn Men and Minn Dogs for making Minn Moms heart swell today.

Best. Mothers. Day. Ever.
Ranks right up there with 12/6/89, 4/6/92, 12/6/93 & 3/2/91.  




No comments: