Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spokane to Seattle... and Back

A scheduled trip to Seattle almost didn't happen due to a miscommunication between The Dad and MOTY on bills to be paid and upcoming graduation plans.

MOTY:  You did WHAT?!?!?!?

That's all that really needs to be said.  It was a colorful conversation, but the most shocking thing was, that I told him to mellow out, that "this" wasn't solving anything and pulled up my big girl pants and helped rearrange things and finalized the plans!

Usually I am the "freaker outer" and need to be told to calm down.  Not this time.  Cool as a cucumber was I.  (This is not a joke.  This is not an exaggeration.  This is not a fabrication.  This is a real life, true story.)

Off we went to Seattle for Zach to hang out with some fraternity rush chairs, see a few houses of those that have contacted him and spend the night at the Fiji house with some boys that graduated the same year as his oldest brother, #7.  I worried and worried and worried some more as he walked away from us at the U-District street fair to walk to the house by himself.  He texted us when he arrived and I was a bit set at ease.  

We made plans and met up with our uncles Rich & Phill who took us to the Washington Athletic Club for dinner before they took off for the symphony.  We enjoyed a very good meal, a cocktail and some great conversation.  The club is beautiful and were I to ever live in Seattle - I would want to be a member, certainly!  We walked around downtown Seattle for a while though most stores were closing.  As Phill and I exited the parking garage - I pointed and asked if The Vance Hotel was "that way"?  And Nordstroms "that way"?  And is the Cheesecake Factory "that way"?  I was spot on... I've always had a way with directions, as far as landmarks go.  But busy highways and exits every which way are not my favorite thing.  I also found a skirt and two tops that I NEED at a store called "Anthropology" last night, though not intended for people with my size pocketbook.  <sigh>  So so cute though.

The Dad wants a T-shirt that the equally as cool as WSU's, UW bookstore has, which has both logos (WSU/UW) and "A House Divided" on it.  He asked if I wanted one but - no... I will be ordering a specific shirt as the proud parent of a soon to be UW Husky.  AND I can't have a shirt that represents only 2 of my kids.  I am stuck in the middle of a trifecta of fun for sure.

EWU & #7 take on WSU football the second game of the season. #7 will play against Blue Eye's school and Blue Eyes will likely be the sports information personnel sent to the visitors locker room after the game to get quotes.  Oye.

And then Wack's new school will play Ryan's school next November, in the annual Apple Cup - only two short days after the FAMILY Thanksgiving holiday/celebration.  Oh my.

All that aside - I saw Seattle through different eyes this time due to not being there for some rushed weekend of sports, and checking into hotels.  We were not driven by schedules and deadlines.  I actually enjoyed Seattle.  And I am looking forward to more trips.  And more time walking through downtown Seattle and Pike Street Market.  And perhaps some more oogling time in Anthropology.  

And purple and gold.  Can't forget the purple and gold.

So... Hello Seattle.  Welcome to our lives!






2 comments:

christalovesotto said...

ahhhhh anthropology....and Seattle is awesome, lived there for 8 years and consider it more my home than Spokane. and especially more than Vancouver. oh how i miss it so. i still feel bad you have to wear purple and gold.... aside from that, i hope you enjoy all of your visits. great city for sure!

Kathleen said...

You can road trip over with me. I go to visit the girl with the Weapon (seriously, that is what we call the smile, as boys walk into poles and give her free lattes when she uses it on them), quite often. We will have a UW MOMs weekend that we create for ourselves, as the school has no official Mom's weekend. That's OK, our party planning skills far surpass what they could come up with.