Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hoopfest 2012 - An Injury Waiting To Happen

Okay.

This is it.  This is the year.  I have watched my boys play in year after year of Spokane Hoopfest - THE Worlds Largest 3-on-3 Street Basketball tournament.

I volunteered for the organization.  I worked for the organization.  I involved the boys and The Dad in volunteering.  We LOVE Hoopfest.  It's like Christmas for our family.  One year, The Dad was recruited to play with some other guys (IT gee... guys, like him... errr uhhh) and they went skins one game because the team they were playing were also wearing white t-shirts.  Funny thing was, all of the guys on The Dads team were pasty, pasty, horribly pasty white.  I got a call from him telling me NOT to come to his game after the boys games ended.  It was not pretty.  Neither was the score.

Last year, #7 was a groomsman in a wedding... Hoopfest weekend... out of town.  He was none to happy about missing Hoopfest.  Like I said... it's like Christmas for us!  

Blue Eyes was a champion of his bracket last year...  and Wack, though <--> this close to getting to the 'ship, finished and thanks to the amazing people who work all year for this amazing event, the boys courts were very near to each other so they could be there to support each other while we drove to Tacoma and back for the wedding #7 was in.  Oye!

So on my bucket list is playing in Hoopfest with my 3 boys - though I have accepted that that will NEVER happen so...  when the opportunity arose to play on a team looking for a woman for their co-ed team, who was preferably OVER 35,  I jumped.  If I'm ever going to do this, why not now?  

I've run (at a snails pace) a marathon, been out of the country (though Tuscany is my "most wanted BIG BUCKET LIST place to visit) and while my list is short, believe it or not, participating in Hoopfest as a player is something that I've wanted to do for a long time.  I'm not getting any younger.  I don't want to do the same stuff day in and day out for the rest of my life.  And so... I jumped.  I'm in.

I just let my team captains amazing girlfriend (who is my amazing friend) know that I will NOT go "skins".  Period.




1 comment:

Kathleen said...

You're all signed up. I signed the injury release on your behalf as your parent.

And you WILL go skins. Team Captain "Inbred" says that's the main reason they went co-ed.