Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Really Bad Idea


I'm five months into the new job and continue to be busy as always.  The person I share my office space/room with is a few years younger than me and definitely a character!  She cracks me up daily.


As I got a few months into the job, I would hear her tell herself it was time to look at her matches.  I never thought much about this - but as time has gone, I came to found out that she looks at her daily "matches" on Match.com.  At one point, she invited me over to look at her matches...


Lois:  Do you want to come look at my matches with me?
CWOTY:  What?  Your matches?
CWOTY:  Ohhhhh... you mean on Matchbook?


Lois: <laughing> It's not "matchbook".  <giggle>.  It's not like Facebook.  It's JUST "Match"
CWOTY:  Same thing.


Thus "Matchbook" was formed and now we have "Matchbook" time every day.  So I go to her desk and point out which guys are really married, but cheating... because their wives are pregnant, married to their jobs, ragged and run down by the kids and not "giving it up"... and on and on.  We count the number of matchbook photos that were taken in public or work restrooms and someone please tell me WHY does that seem like a good idea to the guys?  I have learned that nearly ALL of the men in our general area work out 5-6 times a week.  That "I'll tell you later" means:  "I live with my parents", "I'm currently unemployed", "I am not really looking for a relationship, just sex."  And so on...


It's a nice break during the day - as I'm not a "break" taker... and it lightens things up usually when some "lightening" needs to be had.


But joking one day (I know, so totally NOT me!) I was telling Lois about being an empty nester next year and how I'm so not ready for it.  That The Dad and I were going to sit around at night next year and stare at each other while sitting on the couches.  Boy oh boy if that isn't just enough to keep the fire burning!


So I suggested to Lois that I think I'll have The Dad and I create "Matchbook" accounts so we can sit on the couches with our laptops and humor each other on who comes up on our match pages.  


She mentioned this to The Dad at the Cuatro de Mayo fiesta where The Dads reply was:


The Dad:  That sounds like a disaster of an idea.


And yes.  It is.  Matchbook time is really only fun to do with Lois, who is single and does not have an actual profile on Match.  I'm mostly looking forward to the day I see someone I know.  


Mostly, I think it would be fun to send... what is it...  oh dang... a pinch or nudge or wink.  Yes.. WINK, to some of them and say some of the following:


"Did you think that by squatting in the public restroom in a corner in four different outfits was really cool?  Like, "some chick is going to DIG this pose!""


"Love your profile, hate your face."


"Totally 'winking' at the two adorable labs in your third picture."


"When you say "a few extra pounds", what does "few" mean to YOU?"


"You have no hair, I have no teeth... seems like we're the perfect match!"


I could have SO much fun on Matchbook.  It's a good thing I don't have time for such silliness.  I do have time to watch my favorite Harvard Baseball team again though...


Nighty Night.

5 comments:

Dido said...

Is that similar to Marky having a "Facelift" account?

Unknown said...

Not sure. Who is Marky? And why does he want a "facelift"?

christalovesotto said...

those harvard boys are my new boyfriends - LOVE them...thanks for posting - i share on bookface. i think i am going to apple tunes to get the song...

christalovesotto said...

those harvard boys are my new boyfriends - love that; thanks for posting. i shared on bookface, and i might go to apple tunes and get the song.....

Kathleen said...

I met the love of my life on Matchbook. Although he'll tell you that it "doesn't work" because he was there for three months before he noticed my smiling face. I signed up in October 2007 and he sent me a note 2 hours later. In one month I had over 2,000 "hits" on my profile. Some total weirdos, some cool guys. I made friends there too. My current sprinkler repair guy was a matchbook coffee date. No chemistry but great sprinkler skills!

Things I noticed: many, many of the men in our area have facial hair and are posing in front of something they killed. Many of them take a phone photo in the bathroom mirror. Don't they have friends to take photos of them? This is of course, better than the photo of them with their arm around the Ex and have blacked out her face. MOST of the men will put the age range of who they are looking for a 20 year younger, ranging up to 5 years younger. Nobody their age or older.

Love your blog. Hope Lois can find the love of her life too. It's definitely "working". XO