Monday, May 21, 2012

176 Days off of "The" Facebook

Twice before I've taken breaks from Facebook.  The first time lasted 3 months, the second about the same.  Today is day 176 - nearly 6 months.  And I don't miss it.  People know I am off and when they tell me they wish I was on because they'd love to hear my comments on certain post, stories, etc - I used to get sort of a tug and wondered if I could make it.  Not so much anymore.  

I think Facebook is a cool deal - mostly.  I got into it about 2 years before most of the people I know.  I remember the day clearly and remember being frustrated on not knowing what I was "supposed" to do with it.  Obviously over time I utilized it the way I wanted to, as others became more involved.  Even #7 didn't get on until a few years ago.  But the last two times I "came back" I found that I would get home from work, realize The Dad wouldn't be home, or Wack for another 40 minutes so I could "check" stuff.  40 minutes later they would walk in the door and I would have barely just started dinner.  It was wasting my time.

Correction:  I was wasting my time.  Well, actually, it takes two to tango.  :)

I have long realized too that if my family wants to talk to me - it shouldn't be on facebook.  Not chat, not a post, not a message.  If my family and close friends want to share pictures with me - personally - then I want to see them in my email or in person when we're all congregating.  

Everything is so impersonal now.  No handwritten notes, letters. Birthday greetings are sent on FACEBOOK or in ecards.  People text versus call.  Yes yes yes... it's what the world has come to.  Communication SUCKS.  And is often misunderstood when we have to READ it.  You don't hear the feeling, see the tears or smiles... 

So I'm done.  And the longer I go without it, the longer I know I don't NEED it.  

When everyone was all giddy last week about Facebook stock, I just shook my head and disregarded it.  Mark Zuckerberg is brilliant.  Absolutely.  He's rich.  But then so are the Winkle-vi twins.  

But I never, for a moment, thought I should try to get my hands on some of that.  And look, today already dropped $4.  I don't know... may not last forever.  Most things don't.

Next up:  Day 177.


No comments: