Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

This morning - The Dad said "You should write a nice, touching Memorial Day post today."

I usually don't take The Dads' advice.  For example:

WOTY:  "What shoe should I wear with this outfit?"
The Dad:  "Oooh, I like the one on the right."
~So.. of course I wear the one on the left.

WOTY:  "What sounds good for me to make for dinner?"
The Dad:  "Burgers sounds good, don't you think?"
WOTY:  "Chicken Osaka sounds better.  Thanks."

WOTY:  "What do you want to do?  We have to get used to this whole empty nest, shit ass thing."
The Dad:  "How about I change my shirt and we can go walk around the mall downtown." (Yes, THIS was an actual conversation.)
WOTY:  "It's too nice of a day to walk around inside.  I think I'll go sit on the deck."

Trivial issues and conversations for sure.  But thanks to my heritage and the fact that I live in America... these are pretty much the "worst" things I have to deal with on a day to day basis.  

I think it's realistic to say that most people don't think about military on a day to day basis unless of course their family member is IN the military and/or based overseas.  I would be one of those people.  Right or wrong, that's just an honest comment.

But when Memorial Day rolls around - I find myself a bit disgusted with all of the parties and BBQ's going on because it's not as if celebrating this holiday is so much a good thing.  I mean... when people say "Happy Memorial Day", is it happy for those who have loved and lost someone?  It's a holiday based on the loss of our people who  have died while serving in the USAF, is it not?  

So today my family will celebrate a family members birthday and spend time together - that we are able to spend together because we live in a free country AND because of the people out there working hard to protect our country who are not able to take today off. Who are hoping they come home to their family.  Who hope and pray that next year, they are NOT one of the people behind a "holiday" we have off from work.  The day called "Memorial Day".


No comments: