Monday, July 9, 2012

Which City Are You?!?!?

Math is not my strong suit for sure...  So I'm not going to talk about it.

I mean... not really.

In April I added the Google Analytics to my blog page - it tracks what pages are being viewed the most (but then, Blogger shows you this) though, analytics tells you if a person viewed Post A and followed it on to Post FF.  It tells me the browser used the most (Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox are the top four, in that order) and the operating system (Windows, Macintosh, Android, iOS, iPad, iPhone and Linux) and even the service provider (Comcast. Qwest, Roadrunner, TW Telecom, Cactus, Cox, Comcast Private Business, Broadstripe, Cellco... and on and on (90+ listed).

It shows me that 10 different countries have been to my site (April 2012 to present):

USA
Australia
Canada
Italy
Netherlands
Greece 
South Korea
New Zealand
Russia
Taiwan

And cities....  103 of them - from April to now.  
Spokane (thanks mom), Seattle, Pullman, Vancouver, Queen Creek (where is this?), Bellevue, Portland, Arlington, Cheney, Tacoma, Denver, Chicago, Omaha, Warm Springs, Boston, Dallas, Brisbane, Delft, San Diego, Billings, Las Vegas, New York, Beaverton, Airway Heights, Bellingham, Olympia, Yelm, Sydney, Melbourne, Winnipeg, St. John, Yellowknife <?>, Windsor, Thessaloniki (I couldn't make that up if I wanted to!), Padova, Rome, Seoul, Auckland, Moscow, Birmingham, Chandler, Phoenix, Alhambra, Emeryville, Huntington Park, Mission Viejo, Oakley, Sacramento, Torrance, Durango, Englewood, Washington, Pembroke Pines, Tampa, Smyrna, Gurnee, Springfield, Evansville, Ft. Wayne, Derby, Baton Rouge, Cambridge, Greenfield, Millbury, Oakpark, Westland, Hopkins, Kansas City, Bozeman, Great Falls, Charlotte, Greensboro, Holly Springs, Lincolnton, Asbury Park, Albequerque (I said it like you spell it while I was typing this), Eugene, La Grande, Quarryville, Memphis, Austin, Ft Worth, Salt Lake City, Dupont, Elma, Kirkland, Long Beach, Lynnwood, Mt. Vernon, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, North Bend, Onalaska, Orting, Renton, Richland, Snohomish, Stanwood, Wenatchee.  Arlington is listed twice.  Is there another Arlington?  I know there's a Spokane, Missouri... so, my bet is yes.

I think I got them all.  My apologies if I missed you...  

My traffic sources are mostly direct to the site.  Facebook, Google, Blogger, StumbleUpon, Twitter, Blogfrog, Hootsuite, Bing, LinkedIn, Yahoo.  

My page has been viewed almost 10,000 times by the counter I placed on my Blogger template...    My Analytics doesn't have an accurate New vs. Returning graph, due to timing of my placement... but for the past 3 months - its 834 returning visits, with 449 new since starting with analytics.  Since it doesn't go back to November 28th - I'm not sure what that actual numbers might be?? The average visit length is just under 4 minutes.  Long enough to read my ramble and... OR just listen to the song I picked for that day.  <shrug>

992 people have seen my site from their computers and 91 have looked at it by their mobile devices (April 2012-present).

There are so many other options for reports and things I could do with this - but just these little, easier to find, look at, run - numbers make me want to give up and run for the covers!  

When I first started with analytics - I ran the report daily as it was fun to see how else, where else, someone might find me.  Now I run it about once a week.  I keep meaning to export the cities to a spreadsheet so I can track which cities are new and when... but not today.  Today - pulling those reports and typing this up - is as techie as I'm getting.  I've got to get back to work and still have to get this house in order for Wednesday bunco.  

I started this "project" out thinking that my family would be the only ones that would ever view this and even then - I don't think so much about the people "out there" when I'm writing.  So these numbers are fun, flattering, thought provoking.


While numbers aren't my thing in a mathematical world - I like them in my blog world.  Sure - there are countless others out there whose numbers are astronomical, and some who have all day to write, post, update their pages.  I am not one of those.  That's what working full time will do to ya!  But I like what I have.  I've tweaked it here and there, but mostly keep it the same.  It's all good.  I'm good where I'm at.


In more ways than 1. 




No comments: