Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Overextended. Again...

When I was looking to leave the school district position I held for many moons - I wanted to do so for a myriad of reasons - but mostly - I knew that with 3 kids in college, what business do I have working a job that has summers off, 2 weeks at Christmas and a week for spring break?  That... and with boys working, driving, never around - I don't need to be home during the summer months. They don't need me to carpool them anywhere or make their lunches (though they would like that).  It's not like I was out playing in the ladies tennis or golf groups the summers I was home.  The first few I was carpooling and going to all sorts of basketball tournaments and 7-on-7 football competitions.  But for the last two or three... nada.  It's also not like I have unlimited income to go out out shop all of the time.  (Which actually wouldn't matter because I just don't love shopping at all.  It's just another "job".)

I took an interim position.  When that ended I didn't work for a while - but I just can't sit still either.  So I got this job.  I didn't really realize until the last week or so what a HUGE difference getting off work at 330 is for me.  Even though I often times didn't leave work until 4, I was home to get changed, make dinner, get laundry going, relax before the next wave of activity.  I no longer have that and I'm realizing that just sucks.  Really, really... really sucks.

So what do I do?  I take on a project that is likely to take up a few hours each night for the next couple of weeks.  I made a commitment and have to get this done.  I've come home the past two days at lunch and worked on it but the mere thought of having to put another hour and a half in tonight is a bit overwhelming.  

Yesterday I did a little organizing at lunch so that I could go to a start up jewelry party for one of my friends.  And then... of course... stayed later than I thought I would.  But it was fine.  And the payoff is I got a couple of really cute necklaces and earrings.  Or is that payout?  Yikes.

So I'm overbooked.  Overworked (in comparison to the "old" job).  In over-my-head with this project. 

Therefore... drinking wine so I can refrain from overreacting and remembering that I'm completely overwhelmed.

Over & out.

No comments: