Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Learning the Fundamentals of Rebounding

As I was sitting watching one of Blue Eyes games on Saturday, my good friend and former colleague sent me the photo below.  His words were "Found it!"

The "Fiorillo Family Court".  A sponsorship/backboard that the students and staff at Sacajawea Middle School purchased through donations by all to make this happen.  I haven't worked at Hoopfest for 10 years now - but when I was the Marketing Manager there - a court sponsorship was $600.  It may well have gone up in these past 10 years, which would stand to reason... so that makes it quite an accomplishment for that kind of money to be raised.

That's a swell gift for a guy that loved hoops.  Coaching, watching, participating. 

It was one of the first things I looked for when the court map came out online.  But Greg found it first at the event and took this photo and sent it to a group of us.  

Now in my phone I have this photo of the court.  A photo of the plaque that is hanging outside of his old office at Sac, a picture of his signature on the floor of Sacajawea... and I still have Pat as a contact in my phone.  Just like The Dad still has his mom as a contact and Sarah's parents and sister have her as a contact in their phones.

We were granted early release from work today at 3 and I came home, made lunch for the two boys that were here and then made some peanut butter cookies.  As they settled into their daily routines (Blue Eyes took a nap and #7 watched one of his shows on Netflix downstairs) I sat to call some arbor companies to come and trim the walnut tree in the front yard.  As I was waiting for a return call I was scrolling through my contact list and it hit me - for the umpteenth time - that this is not a dream, as I came across his name, then Robins'.  They are my only "F's" in my contact list.  Pat is gone.   Sarah is gone.  David is gone.  A friend.  A relative.  A childhood neighbor.  All at young ages.  With that comes that nagging feeling and questioning returns.  Is this what getting older is going to be like?    Or is it an ongoing opportunity staring us in the eyes to fix something, work toward something?  Is it the reminder that life is short, sometimes too short and we need to hold those who are near and dear to us close, forgive, forget, help, visit, take part in each others lives, play games, go on road trips, give them all I can because they need it more than me and that's what we do as parents, help a friend in need, say "yes" when you really just want to say "no" and hunker down at home, write a note just because, cry because you're sad, cry because you're happy, hug, laugh, love, roll the dice, take a chance, be a parent - not a friend, be a friend - not a nagging spouse, hug hard, give more than we take.  Be present.  

It's getting older AND opportunity to see that we should live IN the moment.  Not for the next trip, the next game, the next holiday, the project to be done, the phone to ring... 

I can say this - all the while, as I type this very line, I'm wanting "my people" back.  I want this to be my own personal "J.R. Ewing/Dallas" dream.  

But this is just how the ball bounces.  It's not always in our favor.  Sometimes the other team wins possession of our "ball" and we have to learn to roll with it.  




No comments: