Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Visit to the Vet

Last December - Boone got a bit of a limp about him.  After a visit to the vet, x-rays that showed nothing, some anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds we were referred to the Pet Emergency Clinic - or at least the Imaging part of that clinic for a series of steroid tests to help what they determined was a bit of tendinitis.  The first visit was a small fortune as they had to do put him out so they could get an ultrasound done on his shoulder to find the exact spot for the injection.

What a nice surprise the second injection appointment was when it was only $68.

So it's been all well and good since then - but at the time of the second injection - we were told that this could be a yearly thing.

And so it happened last week that Boone was running in and out of Dan the Dog's kiddy pool.  He slipped going in one time and aggravated his shoulder.  We called to the Spokane Pet Emergency Clinic to get him scheduled for another injection.  They said they thought we should see our vet first, so I made an appointment for today with Michor Gentemann.  We love him.  He is amazing with the animals.  Amazing.

Boone walked right in and sat on the scale and then waited patiently for our room.  In we went and waited - Boone, sitting next to me on the "people" chairs.  Michor came in and we talked about what happened, how, when and told him we'd already scheduled the injection appointment for this afternoon, assuming that this is what they were going to advise us to do.  He concurred and said he'd call down to them to let them know he thought this was the route to go.

I was charged $32 for Boone's visit to the vet.  I was absolutely thrilled.  So it was a bit like Christmas knowing that I was going to get out of this medical situation for $100.  (If you've ever taken your pet to the vet, you know it's not usually less than $137.49.)  

As I left the vet to bring Boone home until his 1pm appointment out at the Spokane Pet Emergency Imaging Clinic, my cell phone rang and it was the clinic telling me they'd just heard from Dr. Gentemann and that they were not busy so I could bring Boone in then if that would work.  And so I did.  We walked in, it was quiet and they were waiting for him.  It's the kind of appointment where we drop him off because they have to sedate him a bit to do the injection.  Back to work I went, letting The Dad know he gets pick up duty.

A bit later on my phone buzzes and The Dad asks me "Were you expecting $322?"

Needless to say I FLIPPED out.  Uhhh.... Noooooo... wtf?  So he relayed this to them, though he knew because when I got back to work I let him know how overjoyed I was about the expected costs of the day.  He asked them if they had let me know what to expect, that they were not only doing the injection, but also more ultrasound work and they replied that no, they hadn't - but that it needed to be done.  So he tells them that, like dropping your car off at a shop - they don't do any work until it's been approved.  We knew we were coming for a $68 dollar injection, nothing more.  The poor girl at the front desk kept going back to talk to the doctors/technicians and she kept coming out with their answers to his inquiries.... instead of just coming out and answering the questions themselves.  The Dad said he wasn't paying the full amount, at least not today - and they agreed to that, telling him he had a balance to fulfill.

So - like I did after my 20 year reunion, that we held at The old Ridpath Hotel - as the most recent bank of owners let it fall apart and turned off the air conditioning prior to our event, I put the information together, wrote a stellar argumentative letter stating why we had cancelled our payment and would pay for the food costs only, netting us "back" nearly $2300 - so too, will I pen a letter and send it off certified mail.  I will include copies of the first appointment there (over $100 less than the $322 this time) and the second injection, only $68.  I will CC: Lincoln Heights Veterinary Clinic.  I will instruct the clinic on Mission that we will accept credit for Boone's next injection from the $168 we paid today.  

I'm outraged that due to them having no other patients today - that they took the liberty to just spend my money.  Which, actually, The Dad said to them.  If they want to fight it, we'll gladly let an attorney request the two ultrasounds he's had to verify that they did, in fact, NEED to do it.  If Dr. Gentemann had said "It's likely they'll need to do an ultrasound again to make sure..." then that would change this.  But he didn't... and they didn't tell us they "needed" to when I was checking him in.

So here's a "do" and a "don't".

If you're looking for a Veterinary Clinic - DO take your pet to Lincoln Heights Veterinary Clinic on 27th Avenue.

If you're needing or referred to take your furry loved one to the imaging center or Spokane Pet Emergency Clinic - DON'T forget to ask them up front what their charges will be and DO let them know that prior to doing anything at all ABOVE the amount they quote you, they better damn well not forget to call you.

No comments: