Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of Sacre. I mean... July.

We don't have traditional 4th of July plans.  We used to light off a few fireworks and do sparklers at The Dads parents home on Napa many moons ago.  After that we would find a spot to perch and watch the Riverfront Park fireworks... a few times we actually went to the park to view them.

Somewhere along the way - with boys growing older, driving, friends to hang out with - the family 4th of July fell by the wayside.  I don't know that I've ever been upset about that... until now.  Now I know.  Not upset - as in angry or frustrated... more sad, mostly.  If the Vancouver family still lived here, I believe it would have become a traditional family affair.  But alas and alack, that's not the case.  

So The Dad and I sit here at 9:46 p.m.  He played racquetball in the morning, I worked out and then we came home and I mowed the back yard.  He mowed the front and I watered the flowers and sorted the laundry.  We had several offers to go "play" tonight - but have to work on Thursday.  

How stupid is it that when the 4th of July falls on a Wednesday, that the government doesn't find a way to "move" it somehow, to either Tuesday or Wednesday to allow for an actual holiday celebration.  At least that way, you could take the day following or prior to as part of a 4 day weekend.  But working 2 days, having a day off and knowing I've got to be up at 5 on Thursday for a normal workout and day of work completely puts a damper on doing anything tonight.


So we did what all good husbands want to do.  Yard work.  Housework.  A trip to Mai Nails to see if they were open for pedicures... and then out to the mall for the wifes shave cream at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  Oh yes... fun times.  A stop at friends for a martini and then to a short dinner at Bonzai before heading home and now... to bed.  Long before the fireworks go off.


But I got my fireworks tonight...






I see Red.  I see White.  I see Blue.  Who needs fireworks??

No comments: