Friday, June 29, 2012

Merry Christmas!!! (June 29, 2012)

Technically it's not Christmas.  In fact, the real Christmas is just about exactly 6 months away.

But today leads into a family "holiday" weekend. 

Usually, the holidays are spent running every which way, trying to please all of the relatives be it for visits or dinner plans, when to open gifts or play a family game that the general lot can agree on.

But this "holiday" weekend - Hoopfest... the Worlds largest... wait a minute... the WORLDS' largest 3-on-3 street basketball tournament takes place on my very own hometowns city streets.  This is year 23.  But year 1 for me - as a player.  It's also #7's 14th contest.  This year he plays with the "Evil Empire" (Jared, Erick and Beau - all former Saxon basketball players on the 58-0, two time State Champs!), Blue Eyes is on his 12th Hoopfest and he and the rest of the "Perkisizers" hope to bring home a second consecutive coveted Hoopfest Champion shirt!  Wack is playing with the same group as last year, new name "Mutha Hens"...  and they were real close to bringing home the gold last year.

So tonight will be a special dinner - in preparation for the Evil Empires 8 AM start in the elite bracket.  

There are a few gifts to round out our weekend.  The gift of laughter.  The gift of cheering on our own.  The gift of being together at the end of the day and at the start of the next.  We won't all be together most of the time between games - but we will be there to support one another and I know one of my other personalities "Mama BEAR" will be out in full force when the boyz are playing.  I can't frickin wait!

The weather is supposed to be near perfect and technically, once this weekend is over - Summer will be on in full force in The Can.  The last gift of our weekend arrived just in time today.  The new air conditioner was installed.  I'm wearing a jacket, earmuffs and have a blanket over my legs as I type this - so that's a bit uncool... but for the first time, on a sunny, semi-warmish day - my blinds are open to our view here on the mountain.

Letting the sun shine in and on me and my guys for our holiday weekend!  

I'm gonna soak it all in.  

I do though, feel sorry for the sucker who tries to take the ball away from me when I get my first "in game hotflash".  Bummer for you pal...

Oh... and Happy Birthday to my big bro!  Shout out to Big E for $44!


No comments: