Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hey Patty Pat... There You Are.

This is the song I remember my uncle by - every time I hear it, I think of Uncle Doug.  Taken from us all, in a boat wreck on Liberty Lake, coming up on 20 years ago.  Jeez... I remember you had just met Blue Eyes just a few weeks prior - he was 3 months old.  <sigh> (Click to the right... Playlist has ruined my automatic "start")  :(

Some of us have songs we remember certain times, places, people by... or events.  Photos, smells, clothing, weather - so many triggers.  Adam Morrison is a topic by which I will fondly remember my work pal Pat.  I loved Adam and Pat knew it... but I think I loved Adam more and more because of how disgusted Pat was by it.  My office was decorated with Adam from the last two seasons at GU.  I spent special, precious time laminating articles and photos - in part because I knew it would irk him just that much.  

I loved our banter and teasing.  And once I met his rock star wife it was almost a tag-team wife/husband thing going on.  She nagged, teased, laughed at and with him at home... I took over when he got to work.  As it should be for all men... Pat was just super lucky that it worked out this way.  Right Rob?

But as I said on March 9th - he was, is... gone too soon.  But he left his mark on so many as much as he allowed us all to leave our mark on him.  And because of his "tenure" at Sacajawea Middle School (aka - Sacatraz to the kids, come year end) and the ties that bind - an idea was hatched.  Last week it was implemented and tomorrow, on the last day of school - as the annual "Rubber Thunderbird" con is set to begin - it will be dedicated.


Countless numbers of students, siblings, parents, staff and others will see this as time passes and may not know you, or ever hear about you.  Some smart aleck will respond to: "Who is Patr.. F.. Fi... lo?" with "I'll  bet your mom knows." and start laughing.


And you would likely appreciate that...


You made your  mark in us all and now, on a basketball court - so so fitting, is a part of you.


Cheers buddy.  I'm wearing yellow tomorrow with an Adam Morrison jersey underneath, to go with my purple toenails - for the dedication.  I figure since I HAD to go to Cabo and missed the memorial, that I can "bring yellow back" for this one time.  I told Robin I hope it helps me - in the terms of you working out a good deal for me with the heat miser, so that I'm not stuck with all of the Devils Dweebs when I get there.







3 comments:

Kathleen said...

This is SO awesome!

Unknown said...

It is huh?!? I can remember when they named FHS court for highly revered, coach Wayne Gilman who had passed away... but a Jr. High School?? - major sweetness!

Zig said...

Nice job, Kathy. Sorry ill miss it. Sayin my own silent tribute while 'never losing hope' with my own. Can't wait to see it in person. Well done all.