Sunday, June 24, 2012

Taco Time!

Blue Eyes had a "House Core" <sp?> meeting in Ellensburg yesterday so he took off early and ended up staying until this morning.  

Wack was out playing "Mafia" or "Murder" or "Rambo"... something like that and a game I know not of how it's played and am probably happier knowing only THAT much.

#7 was working a football camp put on by the EWU coaching staff and some of the players.  

But I knew his work was over yesterday or today and that he would likely be in for dinner tonight.  Annnnnd... figuring that #7 wasn't the ONLY player working the camp, I thought it would be fun to have some of the boys in for my famous tacos. 

So we did the Costco, Rosauers AND Albertsons shopping yesterday prior to our Trailer Trash outing (see The Dads' Bookface page for many fun photos) and today, after waking up at 2:30 AM to some righteous thunder and rain, sleeping semi restlessly after that and then waking up with a skoche of a headache, aka hangover (I have found since this "no parts"/hotflash crap started that beverages other than beer or hard alcohol just don't work for me anymore.  As in -  one glass of wine will give me a hangover feeling even if it never even messed with my senses... so aggravating) and needing my Starbucks kick to get me going for the day.  

I knew three things:

Bathrooms needed cleaning.

Ryan's sheets needed washing.

Tacos needed prepped.

The mid morning text went out asking a for a "rough" figure of players (and a spouse) to expect.  The early afternoon response was "How many can come?"  The MOTY response was: "No limit, I bought lots."  Followed up quickly with "Uhhh, not all 90 players" because it would be just like #7 to make ALL of the players come just to put me in "that spot".  Less than an hour later I got "The number is 7 right now."  Fitting.

So The Dad went to get coffees and I started.  Bathrooms first.  Bathroom laundry second... rugs, towels, etc.  Then "regular laundry".  The stairs, couches, bedrooms and living room all vacuumed and The Dad even moved ALL OF THE FURNITURE in the living room and vacuumed under them... which was AWESOME and he totally earned "Brownie Points" for that.  I put 7 chicken breasts  in the crockpot with the seasonings for chicken tacos and put three pounds of ground beef out to thaw, cut 10 tomatoes, 3 bunches of green onions, 4 cans of olives, 1 head of lettuce, guacamole, salsa... all of the fixins were ready early because my taco shells take time.  And I had 72 of them to make come dinner time...

We didn't sit and take a break once today and I think my house is not only ready for the boys (& the one wife!) but it's ready for Hoopfest weekend activity! (Let's go!)

So in they came.  #7's long time high school friends, J.K. and Kenz... then up pull the EWU boys - Nick, Grant, Daniel, Scott, Vernon and #7 and shortly thereafter pulled up Nicks wife, Macca.  They started through the line and most went through 2-3 times.  They ate and ate and managed to save room for the cupcakes I made earlier today.  They drank loads of gatorade and waters.  And they were upstairs and downstairs and chatting and playing.  And it was fun to watch and listen to.



Blue Eyes had come home and then taken off to play tennis and Wack was off golfing.  And thank goodness Zach ate at the golf course because I was fresh out of chicken AND beef by the time he got home.  There were 8 taco shells left.  So 12 people (Blue Eyes had some when he got home) managed to finish off 64 tacos.  

I had ONE.  63 tacos.  SIXTY THREE TACOS!

Nick - our bottomless pit, 4th son (who lived with us the summer after his and #7's first year at EWU) had tweeted me about playing a board game after dinner - so at the point it looked like they could hop up and leave, Nick asked if we were playing a game... so we pulled out "The Game of Things".  Only one did not participate - as he layed, ever-so-at-home on the couch.



Laughter, strategery ensued...  I won.  Nick demands a re-match.  Four tied for second place - #7, Nick, Macca and Vernon... The Dad scored zero.  It's sort of his M.O.




I'm tired and we've gone all day.  But much was accomplished, most important being - fun.  The boys all got a good meal, they start up tomorrow - early, so I'm glad they got a good start to this next go round of summer conditioning.  

I can't do this "empty nest" crap.  Not unless all of my boys promise to bring back "a crew" of fun to make me clean my house, fill them up when they need it that allows me such contentment - not even allowing me to feel that "Awe crap, tomorrows Monday" feeling.

Taco time is good time!

No comments: