Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Seeing Red

New job, meant new benefits.

New benefits don't "work" at the Costco vision center.

Picked new vision spot up here on the South Hill.

Called to make appointment, was told copay was $10.  Perfection.

Go to appointment.  Go to room one and am told about all of the do's and don'ts for contacts.  (I've only been wearing them 15 years.)  Next told my appointment is going to cost an additional $35 because it's a "contact screening".  I say "Well, my copay is $10."  The soft spoken assistant explains to me that there is a vision screening, glasses screening and contacts screening that are 'above & beyond' the copay.  

Irritation #1.

Assistant dilates my eyes.  (Costco never did this.)  Then different vision tests.  A few questionnaire questions... vitamins, allergies.  Then off to another room for another test.  Also, at this time I can, if I'd like to, I can pay an ADDITIONAL $35 for another test that will give them a better something something of my eyes and if I do it now, as a new patient, then next year I'll get 40% off if I choose to have that test done again next year.  "No thanks.  I'm simply here for my vision screening so I can get new contacts.  Scratch that.  I'm simply here for my "contacts" screening so I can get new contacts."  Upon finishing this test I'm moved from my original room to the "old" room because they need a piece of equipment for their next patient.

Irritation #2.

As she wipes down all of the old equipment that she says - she had only seen pictures of while in school - she tells me that they won't be able to do anything with my results until they receive the prescription from Costco.  Fine.  She finishes wiping down the ancient old equipment and tells me the doctor will be with me momentarily.  She leaves.  I text The Dad to tell him I'm a skoche "irritated".  At this point, front desk girl comes in to say they are having issues with this computer, so they are moving me to another room.

Irritation $3.

By the time I see the doctor for my VISION screening, that was in no way different from anything other than I've ever had at Costco, I'm full on disgruntled!  She does all of the same stuff and then proceeds to tell me that she can't make a determination on my contacts prescription until they receive a copy of my RX from Costco.  Ya... I know.  Then she asks me if I'll be ordering glasses with this new prescription.  wtf?  Seriously?  Don't I have to have a "glasses" screening in order to buy the frickin' glasses?

When it's all done - they walk me out to pay my $35 contacts screening fee plus my $10 copay.  But because I'm new and have some "great" insurance, they'll give me 15% off of the contacts screening so instead of paying $45 today, I only had to pay $39.75.  

When I was only supposed to pay $10.

I'm not naming them until I get my prescription in my hands.  After that, it's on.

No comments: