Thursday, April 5, 2012

Slow Going on Alaska Air with The Tourist

Cabo 2012 - Part I

I had every intention of making my posts while we were in Mexico, but it's all The Dad's fault (what isn't?) that this didn't happen.  He didn't take his beloved Mac.  He always takes his laptop or Mac.  But this time, he didn't.  And I didn't.  As if!

The weather was nice in Cabo - but not as hot as I would like.  I have more Arizona blood in my veins than I do Washington and I LOVE the heat.  Last year it was good and hot.  This year it was upper 70's with maybe a day or two in the low 80's.  Add the ocean breeze to those temps and it's not quite as warm.  I didn't pack pants or sweaters this year because The Dad kept telling me it was going to be closer to 84.  I was watching the weather and I never saw that, but somewhere, inside me... deep deep deep deeeeeep down inside of me, I wanted to believe he knew what he was talking about (this time).  I should have trusted my weather site.  <sigh>

The first day was a travel day on Alaska Airlines.  Our flight to Portland was delayed.  Our flight to San Francisco was uber delayed.  Our flight home was marred with my husband and son being treated as though they might be terrorists.  I have never known Alaska this way but I can tell you - I will look to other airlines for our June trip and ALL of our football trips next fall.  Noooowwww.... I will say that Jeff being dressed like a tourist - is likely what pointed them in their direction.  I was told today, that they actually look at "those people" the most when travelling as drug dealers/runners will often times pick the most touristy looking person to use as deflections.  Soooo... that's swell.  Zach was just an innocent bystander - well, with the exception that his t-shirt read:

One Tequila
Two Tequila
Three Tequila
FLOOR

Uhhh - I suppose that kind of screams "tourist" as well.  But when I made a comment about discrimination I was told it was all random and chosen by the airlines.  Random enough that 2 of the 4 people, out of 329 that were screened like this in Cabo and again in San Diego, and then had to show their boarding pass from Cabo to Seattle when they showed their Seattle to Spokane boarding pass to get on the flight home... are from the same FAMILY? That's random?  

I filmed most of Jeff's search until I was asked to turn it off and they were not happy I was doing it.  It was appalling.  I was really much more angry about Zach's search - but he wasn't wearing the stupid hat.  He was dressed like a teenager, not a 60 year old.  I do like the option of being able to choose my seats though, so that in the future, I KNOW not to sit myself next to the guy who wears a fidora, dress shirt, shorts, white sport socks and sandals.  Gads.

At least, if I do, it won't be a guy I KNOW.






No comments: