Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dogs & Ducks

So I wrote my whole "Duck" story the other day - which still saddens me...

Then someone told me about the "Dog" story and I was going to search for it, but it was on the news that very  night.  So here IT is:



And yes.  It sucks. 

What is so inspiring to me is the loyalty the duck and this dog have for their fallen friends.  I know people that have far less loyalty, if any, to friends, family, etc than these animals had for each other.  I'm sure we all do.  

But if we know those people or ARE those people, there's probably not a good chance that how we respond to someones loss is ever going to change.  Some people are born wearing their hearts on their sleeves, others appear to have no feelings at all.  Some show concern, empathy when it's needed and would hope for the same in return; some appreciate the empathy, condolences and wouldn't think to reciprocate.  

"Grace" and my "Duck" stayed the course, to make sure they didn't leave someone behind. Their someone.  I would think a stray dog would be more conditioned to continue running.  Too bad, so sad, leaving dust in her trail.  But she didn't.  She was loyal.  She stayed.  She was "human"... as was my "Duck".

So a duck and a dog can be human-like...  Absolutely.

But how come more humans - can't be more like the dog... and the duck?

Let's turn this around a bit:

On Sunday, I went grocery shopping.  While I was out grocery shopping I picked up a box of Rosauers shortbread cookies.  When they're fresh... they're "the bomb".  I knew that #7 was coming in for dinner and he loves them so I figured I'd send some home with him.  I first ate one to make sure they tasted okay.  Then The Dad had one.  Repeat.

This morning, we left for the club and upon our return, the dogs had managed to balance on one of the others backs to get the box off the back of the counter to finish the rest of the cookies that we didn't send back to school with #7.  The Dad was immediately ticked.  I laughed.  He started the blame game saying it had to be Boone.  The biggest dog we have, the tallest, and yet the one standing underneath his feet wagging his tail with passion!  Then came Dan... slinking his way, tail tucked, yet wagging... into the dining area, carefully watching our reactions.  I was laughing.  The Dad, still pissed.  Still blaming Boone, who is still wagging his tail and smiling!  I have seen the smallest dog, Dan, reach much further than the other two, on the counter, the table, etc.  Dan was the culprit.  Jack sauntered up the stairs and while we know he partook in the "Feast of Shortbreads", he KNEW he wasn't guilty, so casually, and without his tail between his legs sauntered to the door to let me know that the cookies had hit his intestines and it was time to release now.  

Where am I going with this?  I tried to tell The Dad that the dogs were, in effect, just being loyal.  Not only to each other, but to us.  They KNOW what those cookies will do to my hips and The Dads' stomach.  They were loyal in that they all ATE the cookies so that they either had to face the consequences together (were there any to be had!).  

In all seriousness - stories like this video above touch our hearts because we don't SEE it often enough.  We don't see our friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, people in general showing compassion and loyalty.  Love. We all know someone who's left others behind...  and it's been a growing trend in a greedy world.  The "all about me" world.  

And that sucks ass.

The End.


2 comments:

christalovesotto said...

can you tell i enjoy your blog?? :D
i love that you wrote about this topic.
i love that you call 'little jeff" #7.
hug your dogs for me, oh and The Dad too :D

Unknown said...

I'm on it girlfriend! Thanks for the comments. I can prove now that at least one person reads it! :D