Friday, April 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Blue Eyes!

20 Years ago - I spent the night in the hospital with Dr. Marynell Meyer keeping a watchful eye over me.  Only two days earlier, had I been in for my checkup with just over 3 weeks until your due date and all was well.  Then I got a good case of the "fake" contractions and went in to Sacred Heart.  She was the doc on call and came in to check it all out... and in two days, you had switched position.  You were now with your head up near my sternum and pressing pretty hard down on my ribs.  She and the nurses spent a good deal of time pushing you - on the outside, manipulating you, to turn head down again and when she got you where she wanted you, she rolled up a towel placed it on the side of my stomach and wrapped some big belt-thingy around me to make sure you couldn't/wouldn't move again.  And then she induced labor three weeks early.  

You were smaller than your older brother - he 9 lbs 12 ounces and 2 weeks overdue... you came into the world at 8 lbs 4 ounces with 3 weeks to go!  You may well have surpassed him and re-broken my tailbone if you had "waited".  Thank goodness for "smaller" miracles!  But just look at you now!  At 6'3", lean, and oh how those blue eyes twinkle!

You have giggled, written, hugged, loved, your way into everyone's hearts over the past 20 years.  You have led, performed (my god that dance at the Mr. Saxon was amazing!), worked, been brave (from dorm to the land of FIJI with barely a moments notice), taken extra math entrance tests for friends (shhhh, I won't tell if you don't), drank more cran-raspberry juice, traveled to St. Louis and Lake Tahoe, supported others and yourself along the way.

I snapped at you the day before Thanksgiving in 2002 and knew, just by looking in your eyes, that my career, my feelings, my clean house - needed to come last.  Must.  Come.  Last.  (But... not like "mema's" last...).  :)

I worried about you most when basketball came to an end for my blue eyed late bloomer and wondered how you would weather the storm.  I watched as you took that experience and turned your life into exactly what it's supposed to be.  You make lemonade out of lemons.  You always have.  Your heart is full and giving.  You give the gift of laughter and smiles and love to those you hold  near and dear to you.

I often wonder what I did in my life to deserve having been given the gift of you boys and I will likely always wonder that.  But I did, and you are - and I'm forever grateful.

Happy Happy Birthday to my Ryno Minn.   

 


April 6, 1992
8 lbs 4 oz
20" long
Blonde hair, blue eyes


April 6, 2012
180 lbs (ish)
6'3"
Blonde hair, same blue eyes
Best personality
FIJI Ruler!
WSU Cougar
Brother, friend, boyfriend, grandson, cousin, son (dad) and to mom...
still my baby boy.



No comments: