Monday, August 6, 2012

The Weather Says "Summer", The Calendar Says "Fall"

It's happening.  The time is upon me and as a mom of three boys, I had mixed emotions as Monday, August 6th, 2012 reared it's head.

We bought the good steaks at Costco yesterday and fixings for their mexi-rice enchiladas. I came home at lunch and made them all grilled tuna sandwiches - for which 2 of the 3 were so very grateful and the other one slept after his long weekend at Watershed.

Dinner is served, we all watched "The Newsroom" for a second time, while Blue Eyes watched it for the first time and knowing that #7 would be likely to clear his plate and be ready to head back to Cheney - I pulled out the games.  I got Farkle out thinking it would be quicker, but Blue Eyes said "Aww no way.  If we're playing a family game, we're playing "Things.""  And so we did.  For an hour and 20 minutes I got to laugh with my boys and The Dad.

But I sit here now desperately trying to find a way NOT to think about what's next.  #7 starts his last season of football camp tomorrow.  We won't see him at home until Sundays after game days most likely... and... if then.  Blue Eyes is working his last day at the golf course tomorrow and then has to pack up and head to Pullman.  Being the king Fiji means he has to be back earlier than the rest of his brothers.  In another week and a half - The Dad and Wack head over for orientation at UW.  

This is not fun.

We spend so much time, from the time they have fuddies (pacifiers), diapers, spit rags - waiting to buy the last package of diapers.  From there we (I) couldn't wait until they were all in school - past kindergarten and the half days!  Next up - I couldn't wait for them to be out of the grade school simply because of the yearly headache also known as the Science Fair project.  It's ironic that the only school I never wished them out of was middle school... and that's ironic, because most parents now of days - FREAK OUT about sending their 12 year olds off to middle school.  I never was worried about it - because even though, like most other humans of the world who grew up hating their middle school experience, I survived it and knew that my boys would too.  Off to high school where there were really more heartbreaks than any other time.  A football game, a love of a game and not making the team, making a team only to lose a friend...  I couldn't WAIT for high school to be over.  I know better than to wish my life away - and wish for the next great thing - but knowing it and making sure I don't keep up the "wishing", well... you know how it goes.

Now I find myself wishing for them to all be home at the same time.  

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight 
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have the wish I wish tonight

I wish that the 8 ball gives #7 a different answer the next time he asks that question.

I wish that Blue Eyes drafts the best fantasy football team, that he kills it in his field of study this year and that he never forgets how much his mom loves him.

I wish that Wack hadn't told me tonight that he wants to come home from school next year and his room will be purple and gold.  Not because I don't like the colors... but because I had just made the comment I was done painting in this house!  More than that though, I wish his wishes all come true.  

08/06/12
#7, Blue Eyes, me, Wack



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man...that made me all teary-eyed. *sniff* You have a wonderful family, Kathleen!

---Theresa

Dido said...

That's a great pic :-)