Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Home Alone - Part I

There were the days... months... uhhh... decades, where I didn't love it if The Dad had to go out of town for business or pleasure.  I think being 24 and having 3 kids under the age of 4 probably didn't help things.

Ahh yesssss... in the old days.

Now we're in the new days.  

Even with Wack still home for another  month - my schedule is driven by little mouths to feed.  I race home after working and have to cook for The Dad and Wack.  Fortunately Wack has already fed the hounds, but that doesn't keep them out from under my feet while I'm cooking the humans food.  Three labs under foot while cooking = not fun.  Not even with wine.  In fact, three labs under foot while doing anything...  = not fun.  After dinner, The Dad cleans (ginormous thanks to my fave in Vancouver for that little lesson) and then it's start the water out back, start a load of laundry, pull out the load in the dryer - think really, really, really, long and hard about folding it and then  come back upstairs to go over the day.  

But today... today The Dad and Wack took off for the University of Washington orientation.  <sigh>  Wish I could have gone... so wish I could have gone, but at my job - you work an entire year before you can use any vacation time.  Because... supposedly, life stops for an entire year when you become employed here.  

So today... today I didn't have to rush home to make human food.  I worked through lunch so I could go to my hair appointment and then raced home to the hounds - who, unlike humans, are generally thrilled when I pour the same food into their bowls.  Were I to do that with my boys - it would not be met with the same enthusiasm.  No how.  No way. It's PARTY TIME!

I let them out, filled up Dan The Dogs' pool, picked up the dog c.r.a.p., and then the one job I have just really needed to do, but I don't because it was going to be "a chore"... popped into my head.  I had the time.  I had the energy.  I didn't HAVE to make dinner, clean up dinner, do laundry...  So I did it.  I needed to weed the flower beds and pots and trim some of them back.  Waaaaaay back... water them, love them, talk to them and tell them I was sorry I hadn't won the lottery yet so that I could spend the time I used to, with them.  They look much better for Yucca-Fest 2012 and I can say I accomplished something.  

I sat down to "yee haw" it up a bit, but a text comes across telling me they are on the pass.  And then I find myself welling up with tears.  Yes seriously.  BUT - to be fair (to myself) it's been one shitty ass month.  Well - since July 23rd.  Then #7 tells me he's either pulled his groin again or banged up his hip flexor.  The Dad seems to be doing all he can to be a man of integrity with a little something he has going on though it feels like it's all for naught, #7's work paperwork somehow didn't get turned in by his supervisor at Ferris - leaving him paycheck-less the end of this month.  The worst month in probably... 15 years for us.  Fortunately, <knock on wood> I haven't heard anything other than seen whoops and hollers on Twitter from Blue Eyes' due to King Felix' perfect game.  *&^^%$^%#$@... I missed that too.  

So while so many gals would be finding this sense of calm... a nice break... no responsibilities to The P.O.T.H. -  My security blanket, the one who helps me to settle down, unwind, find hope when it seems there is none... he's on the other side of the state.  It's no longer a party.  It's a countdown.  

Friday night can't come soon enough.  See you soon 'gag'.

No comments: