Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Tale of Dan The Dog - August 23, 2012

This morning - The Dad fed the dogs and let them out at 5 a.m. as Wack was leaving for work.  He had a hard time getting Dan to come in - which is unusual, but eventually he came.  The Dad walked back upstairs - went out to get the paper, and disappeared into the "mens room".  There's nothing unusual about this.  Nothing at all.  BUT, usually Dan and Boone will come hop up with me until it's time for me to crawl out of bed for my run/walk/work out.  But neither of them did AND Boone was acting all paranoid.  It was... getting on my nerves.
 
So I asked The Dad "What was going on out there?  Boone is all freaked out."  So The Dads answer to this is to open the bathroom door, call Boone, shut bathroom door.  But The Dad was up and at 'em quicker than usual, so Boone was keeping up the antics behind the closed door and The Dad quickly figured out - that it wasn't just "ME" wondering "wtf?".
 
The Dad went outside to see if he could find out what had Boone so agitated and found nothing.  He came in, got dressed and drove off to the club in my car - as I had instructed him to do, saying I would run down and drive back with him.  So he rolled out of the driveway and I rolled out of the bed that none of the dogs had joined me on.  Put in my contacts, got dressed and remembered I wanted to add a few more songs to my nano.
 
I ran back to the bedroom for something and there was Dan The Dog laying on the bed.  He gave me this little look, had a ball in his mouth, but was bowing his head at me like he was about to be in trouble.  I said "Danny boy... whats.... wro.... ohhh nooooo!"
 
Dan The Dog had met up with a porcupine in the backyard!  Fortunately, he's only got about 12 quills in his little mug, but 1) HOW DID THE DAD NOT NOTICE THIS?!?!?  2) What a brave little man.  He never yelped, wasn't fussing with them (note ball in mouth) and 3) My poor guy thought he was in trouble.  Awwweeee....
 
I called the club (I worked there when #7 was born... the phone number is still the same and I have had to call it maybe 4 times since 1989 - but I remember it) and told the gal behind the front desk to have The Dad call me.  She said he was just taking a break between games and she would get him.  That done, I get on the internet and find out what to do... DO NOT remove them on your own states "the internet".  Keep them still - says "the internet"... uhhh, right.
 
The Dad went out and inspected the backyard again without the dogs.  He said that when he opened the door to release the hounds earlier - Dan bolted to the right, right under our bedroom window and then to the fence.  He barked once.  So this much IS a rare occurance at 5 a.m.  But that was it.  He believes that a small opening under the fence is how Mr. Prickly got in and was hunkering down by the air conditioning unit.  He says it appears that the nasty rodent has been "making a path" to under Zachs' window for a while...  The hole will promptly be "blocked" today. 
 
A few summers ago - I awoke in the middle of the night to a "scream".  When the neighbor boy was over that afternoon playing whiffle ball with the boys I asked him if is family had heard it.  His response was "Uhhh yah.  It was our dog.  He met up with a porcupine."   I was so thankful that our fence was tall enough, vinyl and that the little buggers couldn't get into my yard.  Huh... who knew a porcupine could go UNDER the fence.  Grrrrrrrr
 
 
 
Dan The Dog is at the vet.  They've just called and he's going to be fine.  He had to have one "cut down" into his gum because one of the quills got that far in.  He gets antibiotics, tonails clipped and a shot.  All of these things, the primping... well, nothing pleases Dan more than being pretty.  No... I'm not kidding.  What a little man, that Dan.
 


No comments: