Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tic Toc... Tik Tok... Tick Tock...Tick Tok...

So many variations of how to spell it... I don't even have a favorite.

Today, tonight and tomorrow we get a little "introduction" if you will, of living in an "empty nest" as Zach and his class are off to the State Capital tomorrow for a visit with the Senator and attend a session in the Senate Chambers.  As a funny aside here - this is not Zach's first time to the Capital... and he was quick to point out to his teacher and classmates that he's more than happy to show them around and maybe text his pal, Secretary of State - Sam Reed (??? this was 6 years ago folks!) - whom he met 6 years ago when he won the Letters for Literature writing contest.  He was on posters delivered to schools across the state... and when the boys all fight about who is a better writer  (they all take after their mum as far as writing goes) - Zach lets them boast and brag and then pipes in with his trip to the State Capital and "Major WRITING Award".  (Which is really a lot like the fra-geel-eh lamp in "The Christmas Story".)

http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/lal/gallery.aspx

So The Dad and I went to the club this morning - check that.  The Dad left before me to play raquetball and I stayed home to organize the office, work on a spreadsheet, file, pay bills and THEN went to work out.  At Starbucks after working out he asked what I wanted to do today...

WOTY - "Wash Zach's sheets while he's gone, vacuum the stairs, finish the office, make the bed in the guest room up and get Ryan's room done... because he'll be home this week and Suzanne will come with him and...
GAGGY - <rolling eyes>  <immediately slumps forward in chair and starts pouting>
WOTY - "What?"
GAGGY - "Zach's gone and we don't have to worry about meals or doing stuff like that."
WOTY - (Thinking to herself... "Right.  YOU don't have to worry about stuff like that")
GAGGY - ...continues "So I thought we'd go and play today."
WOTY - "Well, I don't intend to come home at lunch every day and clean and race to get it all done and then do more when I get home from work - at least not more than I already do.  But if you'd like an extremely bitchy wife each and every single night of this week, then by all means... let's 'go play'".
GAGGY - <pouting>  "Well, I wish we would have done this YESterday."
WOTY - "Well...  WE could have.  WE (pointing to myself) don't always have to be the one to START the chores."
GAGGY - <rolling eyes>

Can I just tell you how much this makes me look forward to "empty nest" time?

As it is - we got home, I finished my organizing in the office, started Zach's sheets, ran to the store for packaging materials, and he managed to get the little list of chores done that I approved he could do.  With about 18 breaks to stand at the wall and watch golf in between them and even DURING them.   So you know the next time I give him that list he's going to roll his eyes and pout - thinking to himself that LAST TIME it took him 4 hours to get his list done.  Which would be true. BUT, had he left the TV off - it would have taken him 47 minutes.  A combative 22 year old, 19 year old and 18 year old are easier to take than that.

After Tiger almost won - we left to run to get Zach's watch fixed, get The Dad a new wallet and me an eyeliner.  We went to "Precision Time" out at the Spokane Valley Mall - a place that had only weeks ago replaced the battery in my watch.  We walked up - waited as the young man was working on another gentlemans' watch and when he got to a point where he could acknowledge us he asked if we were just needing a battery... I explained that no, my sons uber nice watch lost a link as he was standing in class (uh huh...) and I have a link, yada yada yada.  He looked at it, pulled out the link, the pin, put those on and then asked if I had the other pin.  "Uhhh noooo..." He shrugs it off, opens a little drawer and pulls out one pin, tries to put it in, doesn't go.  Pulls it out and then gets in his little box again, another pin... taps it in.  Wha lah!  He hands the watch back and says thanks for coming by.  Good wife that I am, wanting to freely spend The Dads money, I look at him and say "Well, what do I owe you?"  He says "Nothin'".  

WOTY - "Nothing?  No.  I'll pay you."
GAGGY - <kneeing me in the side>
KID - "Really, it's fine.
WOTY - "You sure?"
KID - "Yah, no problem."

I realize it took him no time and one little pin that would have cost us a dime and he could have charged us $18 for it... but no one does that anymore.  Tell me the last time someone provided you a service (especially in a mall) for free. 


So everyone... "watch" issues - take your business to "Precision Time".  We've had quick, friendly experiences both "times".

No comments: