Friday, March 9, 2012

Cinderella! Cinderella! ~ Help Find Her Glass Slipper!

The night following my B.S.N. (bathing suit nightmare) I dreamt all night long about my favorite North Side friend - Robin.  

Robin is the wife of Pat - whom I told you about a while back after a trip to the doctor yielded some unwelcoming news.  The "C" word was back.  

I can't think of a time I dreamt about Robin... or Pat... ever in the 7 years I've known them. Drank with them... Danced with them (Bon Jovi, Vegas... oh, the good old days), dissed with them, but never had a dream about them.  And so I knew that this dream meant something.  I intended all day Tuesday to send her a text or email and just say "Hey" because I had to follow my instincts.  And then, as I've let happen for 10 weeks now, I emerged myself in my work - always eager to get as much done as I possibly can and stay ahead of the ongoing craziness of TV World! (Not possible)

On Wednesday I returned to my desk and saw that I had missed a call on my cell phone.  It was Rita... she was calling to tell me Pat was in the hospital.  No visitors.  No calls.  He's just dang sick.  The last round of chemo took its toll and while he was trying to power through it and work and stay as upbeat and as "just Pat" as possible - it was rest he needed... and now blood.  His counts are so low... lower than low and he needs to be where they can monitor it all of the time.  For now.  

So I immediately contacted Robin - and intend to every day until her guy is home.  If even just to say "hey, you stupid north side witch!"  <smooch>.  She doesn't have to respond, she just has to know I still think I'm better than her.  

We chatted tonight and what many people don't know - is that her oldest daughter and my youngest son are betrothed.  Including them - they don't know...  Anyhow, we were chatting about Erin and how busy she's been this year, her senior year - which is probably a good thing.  Her plans, Shadle Park... stuff.  Erins' senior project came up and during this time that I can't do much for Pat as he works to get healthy in the hospital, or Robin, who's pulling double parent duty... again... on the north side.  So when she told me what Erin's project was/is - I said to myself "Self... you can post this on your blog and reach out to your network to see how/if they can help her with her project."  

Erin's project is this:  She's doing a "Dress Drive" for formals.  She's selling them for uber cheap and donating the money to charity.  "Which charity?" you say?  Childrens' Hospital, that's "which charity".  Any dresses that go unsold will be donated to the Spokane School Districts' HEART program and to the Tiger Closet at Lewis & Clark High School.  Something I never knew existed - and I worked for the district.  Go figure.

Meet Erin
Erin has collected a number of dresses and will soon have a "Try On &  Buy One" day.  She's even gone so far as to bring in a seamstress who will be on site to do FREE alterations that day!  

If YOU have a daughter and are reading this - you LOVE this!  Right?!?!?  I actually have a couple of suitable dresses from "Coaches Vs. Cancer" gala's past that I am donating... so it doesn't have to be a "prom" dress per se.  

How about you?  Erin and her mom will pick up any dress you donate or feel free to bring them my way and I'll make sure they get them.  For more information - please contact Erin at : Citywidedressdrive@hotmail.com

For far too long, Erin and her sister have been growing up faster than any child should have to.  They know more medical terminology you and I may never know or hear or understand.  I'd love to make Erin feel "charmed" - The best of the Cinderella's out there. Dig in your closets, be it yours, your daughters, nieces, sisters, best friend... and see if you can't make this a time to remember something great!

Thank you.

No comments: