Saturday, March 3, 2012

Overheard At Clinkerdaggers Last Night

We went to Clinks' for our 21st anniversary.  We sat at the same table we sat at the last two years and we enjoyed the "usual" dinner that we order when we go there.  Two things:  1) We don't go there enough.  2) We should really try something different.  Not that our food was bad - if wasn't.  Until around midnight when all of its amazing flavor and "richness" decided to settle in.  

It appeared as though there were several celebrations going on - birthdays & anniversaries.  Many tables with the celebratory "Congratulations" cards and little curls of ribbon about the table.  While we chatted about work, the boys, spring, summer, there was a conversation going on nearby about age differences in couples.  I should preface this with - we all noticed this old woman (I would like to say "older" to suggest she was just older than us, but no... she was OLD.  She had brown hair, which is lucky for her she got good genes <wink wink> ...but she was "old" and nothing was more telling than the point when we saw her teeth start to come out and she quickly [which is a nice feature if you're old] caught them as they were coming out and semi-discreetly pushed them back into place.) and a man come in to sit at the table next to us.  We conversed briefly about whether it was her son or husband and I went with "son".  So there's that.

So back to the conversation about age differences in couples.  The mans' comment was:  "Would you date someone 10 years older than you?"  And the following was the general conversation:

Woman: Ummm well, yah, I mean maybe...
Man: I just don't think I could.
Woman:  Ya... hmmmm.  I don't know.
Man:  No.  Not me.
Woman:  Well, my dad is 10 years older than my step-mom...
Man: I know.
Woman:  And my mom is 7 years older than my step-dad...
Man:  I know...  that's them.  But could you sleep with a 52 year old man?
Woman:  Well, if his name is George Clooney, then yes.  Yes I could.
Man:  Well if you put it that way... then I would go with Sandra Bullock.
Woman:  Sandra is NOT 10 years older than you.  She's my age.  That doesn't count.
Man:  Then I'd probably have to go with the Oscar winner.  
Woman:  Octavia?
Man:  No... no... the other one.
Woman:  <cackle!!!>  You mean - Meryl Streep?
Man:  Yah.  She's hot.
Woman:  She IS for her age.  But now you've gone over the 10 year mark by an additional 10 years.  

Let it be  known I did my research today - and George Clooney is not 52.  He will be 51 on May 6th. (Close enough)  AND... ironically, Meryl Streep - shares a birthday with my mom.  June 22nd.  Just not the same year.  Ballpark area though.

I like the womans' choice for an older man though.

Oh wait.  That WAS us!  Our anniversary dinner consisted of - essentially - a round of "Who Would You Do?"  

Here's to 21 one more years.  I might have to keep track of this list to see how the "selections" change as we get older.



No comments: