Monday, March 26, 2012

The Sound of Silence - Trayvon Martin

I, like many, did not hear about the Trayvon Martin murder until late last week.  I read a tweet and prior to The Dad getting home from work, had gone out to read some information on the internet.  When he got home I asked him if he had heard anything about it and he had a vague recollection of hearing something about it.  It has fully blown up now and is what the world is talking about.  And most are passionate about George Zimmermans non-arrest to date.  As well we all should be.

As we talked that night - I said that anymore, my vision of law enforcement never brings about the image of Sherriff Andy Taylor.  Or even of Officer Jon Baker and Officer  Lou Poncherello.  The whole "I'm above the law, because I AM the law" way of thinking isn't working... and on top of that, the good ole boys' cover ups, time and again are an embarrassment to our nation.  But it's what it's become.  It's not right, certainly... but, it's not going to change, either.  

George Zimmerman is a guilty murderer.  I've listened to several of the 911 calls, including his, which share his cell number and address (can't believe that hasn't been edited or bleeped out).  It is clear that he is told the police don't need him to follow him.  I read in another spot that George Zimmerman, a policeman "wannabe" was polished with his wording "He's coming towards me." and "He has his hand in his waistband."  This was his way to "set up" his self defense.

Speaking of which - Trayvon may well have broken Georges nose - DEFENDING himself.  Flailing arms, jerking his head with George behind him, kicking, screaming...

Screaming - like you hear in this call.  It's heart wrenching... and I found myself horrified and scared for him.  He was terrified... Someone please please help me understand what in bloody hell is taking them so long to arrest this guy?  

And for those who ride the other side.  The side that speaks of Trayvon's 10 day suspension from school for marijuana, or his theft last October.  Yep... those things happened and most of us would make a judgement call on him based on those things.  We might keep our kids from hanging out with him, perhaps.  But then, most of our kids are no angels.  I wasn't.  But regardless of those things, on this night - Trayvon was not in possession of a weapon.  He was on the phone talking to his girlfriend, had some skittles and an ice tea.  Like Jeff said - even if Trayvon punched Zimmerman in the face, that doesn't warrant a gun to solve the issue.  

And listen... because you'll hear it.  Eventually.  The sound of undeserved silence.  


No comments: