Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Color of the Week is Yellow

I walked into Sacajawea the other day to have lunch with friends.  As I walked through the front doors, I immediately looked towards the class going on in the gym and saw Aaron.  Aaron is the long term substitute that came in when Pat got sick.  He'd become part of the crew over the years during Pat's on-and-off time due to illness.  I saw Aaron and something came over me nearly immediately - and I had to turn abruptly and head to my destination in the building.  

I enjoyed lunch with friends and some laughter, banter and even a few song lyrics.  When lunch was over I made a quick visit to a couple of classrooms and then headed out to my car.  I found myself thinking on my way back to work - of how Pat would walk into my office and say "Hey Kath...  You remember those locker spreadsheets you make for me?"   or the countless conversations about GSL football and basketball games.  I vividly remembered his first time (no, not that...) at the Spokane Hoopfest Tip Off Party.  I was still involved with the event and was able to get him and a few other guys at work on the guest list.  Free food, beer and the NCAA Championship on a ginormous screen?  Contests, prizes and more free beer?  I remember him being pretty impressed with himself that he'd been to the exclusive party.  Not with ME, the one who got him in.  I remember a night in Vegas... where he and Jeff watched as 4 grown women screamed like 18 year olds at the Bon Jovi concert and yes, I remember that.  Ahhh... love Patty.

Prior to learning when the memorial/celebration was going to be - I had determined that the colors I would wear for it are John R. Rogers Pirates colors.  Purple and Yellow.  Now I don't have any purple (yet... though check with me in a year as I have a new UW Husky to be) but I do have some yellow.  Some...

Those who know me, know that my closet consists mostly of white, black, red... a couple of pinks, a few navy items and then a bunch more black items.  A few crimson and gray T's and sweatshirts too.  But I do have a few yellow-ish items in my closet.

Here's the unfortunate kicker...  "Patapalooza" was scheduled for this Friday evening and we had long ago planned something that we are unable to get out of or reschedule.  I know that I won't be missed there, as there is not likely going to be space enough as it is for the masses who will be attending - in fact it's probably welcomed if people CAN'T attend! I do also, in fact know, it's not about me.  

I know I've been clear up just south of the Canadian border to see Robin and the girls a few times since.... then...  and I also know they will have all the people they need there with them that night.  I am sad that, in a way, I feel like I don't get to say "goodbye" with everyone else.  You know... that "traditional" event that allows us all to make it final?  It's a mindset I suppose, but I'm not having an easy time trying to make it okay.  Someone told me to do it for a few moments, alone at the place we will be, and that's a real nice idea - but... it's just not the same.

So then... now what?  Well, I plum can't go so the next best thing is to pay tribute to my potty-mouthed friend Pat by wearing his crappy ass school colors.  (And for the record, if they are UW colors, the "crappy ass" part doesn't apply.)  But as a Rogers Pirate... well, being a Ferris alum and in a family of 5 Ferris alums, well, you understand.  

So - I've checked my closet twice, dug through drawers and due to an extreme lack of purple in this house - anywhere near this house - it's got to be JUST yellow.  So this week, each and every day - I will wear yellow.  And as I dress each day this week, I will say a few foul mouthed words that Pat would appreciate, say a few "Hail Adams" and say goodbye in this way.  ("Adam" is Adam Morrison.  I loved the kid when he played for Mead and then GU and he is, in fact, the very reason I signed our family up for season tickets for 5 years.  Pat didn't understand my infatuation... I tried to make him appreciate it when I lovingly chose several of the photos that adorned my office walls and taped them up all over his hospital room.  He didn't bite.  Not for lack of trying.)

So my friend.  This week is for you.  When it's my time... you better be wearing fucking RED when I get up there.

xo


1 comment:

christalovesotto said...

last line = epic. and i hope you keep the purple/gold/yellow [pukeness] to a minimum. hugs to you and you are celebrating your friend in just the right way.