Saturday, September 29, 2012

Is 10:17am Too Early For A Glass Of Wine?

I actually know the answer to this question.

But it's Saturday.

Football Saturday.

Home game, football Saturday.

Home game, football Saturday, senior year.  Final season.

Oye.  

On Thursday night I prepped the jalapeno poppers and did the salt/spiced rub on 5 pork roasts and tucked it all in the refrigerator while listening to Blue Eyes show on KUGR.wsu.edu - Cougar Sports Talk.  On Friday morning, instead of my work out, I got the first roasts going in the crock pot for the pulled pork sandwiches to feed our tailgating guests and the boyz after the game.  After work yesterday I went to task making the 7 layer dip, 4 dozen cupcakes and getting the house back in order after having all of the carpets cleaned yesterday and for the first time in 11 years - the ducts all cleaned out.  While The Dad was properly disgusted by what came out of the vents - I personally, when he texted me the photo, was surprised it wasn't more - given my experience with the furnace/air conditioning "man" back in the day when we still had only 1 dog and 3 cats.  The previous owner had 3 dogs and 1 cat.  We are, as you know, now a 3 dog family.  And knowing that, remembering the issue from back in the day - we elected to have the ducts done.  Also, with company expected there were clean sheets to get on beds, fans to move around to help dry the carpets - oh, and how about we rush it all so we can go watch the EWU Lady Eagles in volleyball!  Ack!  But even all of that was not enough to fray my nerves.

Fast forward to Saturday morning.  Unable to sleep since 5:42 this morning and didn't hit the hay until after midnight.  The LAST of the 5 pork roasts dinged at 5:40 this morning, there were cupcakes to frost and bacon to cook for the poppers.  I showered first and while I got all of that going - I had The Dad and Uncle Rob head to the store for the cheese and veggie trays, chips for dips, lettuce for the sandwiches and most importantly - MY STARBUCKS!  

All the while... nerves in check.

But then The Dad, Uncle Rob, and Wayne left for the Upper Lot.  The trailer packed, ice in coolers and food secured... my job is done - for now.  And it's quiet.  Which is what I've been wanting during my lunch breaks during the work week. Right?

But it's a game day and I always get nervous when there's nothing to do but think about it. If only I had saved the bedrooms to be made up, cleaned, laundry to do... something, anything to keep my mind off of it.  But I didn't.  Note to self:  "You idiot!"

Ironically - I don't drink at the tailgates, like most event-goers do.  I have a sip or two of wine to calm my nerves very shortly before walking in to take my seat.  Section D, Row 27, Seat 7.  If it's colder weather, then it's cider with Fireball and it's more than a sip, but it's more cider than it is fireball.  It's supposed to be 77 degrees today, it's a "blackout" so with the sun hitting us for a while it's sure to be warm - add to that my stupid inconveniently timed hot flashes, well, maybe I WILL drink more than a sip or two this year...

Backing up a bit... the time I sit here and type this - Blue Eyes was supposed to be here between 9 and 10 to get new tires and an alignment done.  This was the task that was to help keep me from falling apart at the seams until close to noon.  Texts and calls unanswered until after The Dad and company departed.  He'd overslept.  <sigh>  New tires and alignment now on hold.  Perhaps, with The Dad home during the week he can go switch cars with Ry for a day or two to make it happen.  Sure, they could do it in Pullman, but our guys at South Hill Lloyds Automotive take good care of us and got us a swingin' deal on #7's new tires recently...  So there's that.  

Just received a text from my niece saying they are there already, cooking breakfast.  I guess that means I need to pull up my big girl pants and make sure I take the sh*t The Dad forgot. His medicine.  His pill.  His sweatshirt.  And then the stuff that only "the lady" can be responsible for - tickets, lot passes, club access passes, bookstore 20% off card, and a level head.  

Spokesman Review 9/29/12
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/sep/29/emotions-run-high-when-eastern-plays-montana/



No comments: