Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Saturday Game In Pullman - One Year Later

We were given tickets for #7's game in Section 5, Row A, Seats 3 & 4.  Right.  Behind.  Our.  Team.  Sure we were amongst ALL WSU Cougar fans - but the internal struggle of whether to sit with the other EWU fans or in these really great seats (in the shade) only took polling the boys and the one answer we got back "Do it ma." was all it took to take the offer.

A few days prior to the game that almost was, I remembered that Sarah had been down to Pullman the year before and took in the first home game of the year down there.  A hot, sunny, Saturday and one of the Cougs 4 wins last year.  I had The Dad log on to The Bookface so I could find this:

Dear Amanda WhiteRob PhibbsDylan KingPatrick StolzHayley Larson, and all my other WSU favorites, this is your 24 hr notice that I will be there in my party clothes aaaaaall weekend. Let the memories begin! :)


Yesterday was the home opener of 2012.  It was hot.  And in the back of my mind throughout the day was "Sarah was here last year.  On this day."  (Not exact date, but exact weekend.)  She went to make memories with her friends.  Little did they all know, that when she pulled out after that weekend - those would be the last memories they would get to make with her, and she them.

I remember her dad telling me that Sarah had told him dad she was going to Pullman and had announced it several hours before she was going to take off.  She had let him know that she had the morning off on Monday at work, though would be back before she was to take a shift at work.  I remember sending Blue Eyes a text to be on the lookout for her.  I figured it wasn't like they would bump into each other, but I hoped.  

I remember after September 16, 2011 - thinking that her unplanned, spontaneous trip - was someone else's "plan" to let her say "goodbye".  I don't know how much I believe in the father, the son, the holy ghost and all of the stories in The Bible... but I do believe there are no coincidences, and that there often times, does appear to be something greater out there, working.  Sometimes I think that "presence" fucks up.  I'm pretty sure that was the case with Sarah and my Uncle Doug.  

But as unimaginable as how Sarah left us - and as awful as it was... as it is...  I believe that "the presence" allowed her friends the "present" of that final visit.  I believe that "the presence" gave her that dinner with her dad that gave her their last, great conversation and understanding.  The visit with her sister and mom during that Pullman weekend away. The shopping date and comedy show with her cousin - part of a trio they were.

I tried to put the spin on yesterdays game due to my vantage point.  That something seemed off during the game due to where we were sitting.  I cheered a few times, but mostly sat and took in the scenery, the noises, the student section.  I beamed with pride at seeing #7 out there with his locks, and often looked up behind me at the press box for a glimpse of Sarah's other cousin, Blue Eyes - working and dressed for success.  I know she was there with her friends and on this day - her cousins.  

Saturday, September 10, 2011



No comments: