Thursday, October 18, 2012

The iPod Shuffle

Today - I finally found my groove at work.  It took nearly 11 months, thoughts of quitting more than once, and today a move from my cubby by the server room - to a room with a view.

I've always listened to music where I work and for the past several months I could hear everything in the hall, the technological noises from the closet to my left and my roommates side of the partition.  I'm not going to lie - learning live TV and several different programs made me question my self proclaimed "I'm a quick learner, multi-tasker"  blah blah blah...  I had my own office space for the last 7 years and still felt much like that, even with someone on the other side of the cubicle wall.  To an extent.

But here's the skinny.  And this is truth.  Real life.

The Dad is still unemployed and in my mind, will be until the start of the new year.  Many companies are at the end of their budget, planning holiday office parties and final vacations.  So there's that.  But I've come home for the past 4-5 months, after figuring out some of the mumbo jumbo of what IS at my work - and been too tired to do anything other than make dinner and change to lay on the couch.  I thought it was just still... the nature of this job.  But on Tuesday - like Mr. Houchens used to yell in 5th grade - "Enough is enough!"

I was tired of it all... that is a gray statement, but it works.  But I was done.  The Dad was done with me coming home like this.  So on Wednesday morning I handed in my letter of resignation.  I spoke with my bosses boss, then my boss and a load was lifted.  I knew it was against my better judgement, given our circumstances - but I need to be positive and have energy at this time in our lives.  My guy needs me up, and encouraging and with the energy we've both had for all of these years.  He had my back, begged me to do it and our mindset is "Where there's a will, there's a way."

It was a whirlwind morning and I was visited again by my boss, her boss, my boss and her boss again and a plan was formed.  I have a new residence at work... I went from a bit of a closet to this:





I stayed late on Wednesday to move my tapes, files, and things I wouldn't need on Thursday or Friday until my computer could be moved.  Turns out that happened this morning and once I got set up I put my head down, ipod on and went to task.  At one point in the day I switched my ipod from "Fall 2012" playlist to Songs/All/Shuffle.

Annnnnd then this came on:  N'Syncs' "Never Knew the Meaning of Christmas" and a plethora of other holiday tunes.  There was a part of me that thought - "Enough is enough. Get back to your Fall playlist."  But at some point, it was just background music and I didn't even realize whether a non holiday or holiday song was playing.  Which meant I was working.  And hard.  And I felt, for maybe the third time in 11 months - that I was making progress.  When I came home tonight - I was energized.  I was talking.  I wasn't ready to crawl into bed.  Case in point... it's 9:30pm and I'm writing this.  

So the ipod shuffle stayed.  The office shuffle worked.  And it's just about time to shuffle over to the couch to watch "Grey's Anatomy" before shuffling off to bed.  

Everything happens for a reason.  Today was a good day.  Thank you for the good day. 

No comments: