Monday, October 29, 2012

No Seed Left Behind!

For the first time in 23 years - there was not a child in the house to dream about pumpkins, candy, costumes and the fun that was... IS pumpkin carving and Halloween.

When we got our pumpkins up at Siemers at Greenbluff - which, sadly, our favorite pumpkin growers land/home is for sale (someone please please please buy it!) I picked out 3 very large pumpkins and two smaller.  The Dad rolled his eyes and wanted to put his foot down and tell me "enough is enough" but there was no way I wasn't buying a pumpkin for every member (human) of our family.  I HAD to three very large pumpkins - because I knew that's what my boys would have picked out.  

The pumpkins sat on the porch with my bale of hay and corn stalks until it was carving day - yesterday.  There were no faces drawn on scratch paper - I knew all along what would be carved.  My boys loves, hopes, dreams are what drive me.  I want for them, their wants.  I would give anything to be able to give them the world...  

Since I can't, really... I have to stick to the things I know they love.  Even if they won't admit it!  So this week - after cooking seeds today - two of them will get some roasted pumpkin seeds (one of them just doesn't GET how nummy roasted pumpkin seeds are AND in fact, are healthy for you too... minus the garlic salt, butter, johnnys, worchestershire...).  I left it to The Dad to scrape the guts out of the pumpkins and then, as my OCD allows me to do so expertly - I pulled each and every seed out of the guts from the three pumpkins.  There were no seeds left behind.  

I remember last years carving.  Wack, The Dad and I (mostly Wack and I).  Wack is my Christmas lovin' boy.  I sent him a text on Sunday asking if he remembered carving pumpkins last year and he responded "What about it?"  I asked if he remembered WHAT we did WHILE we carved.  His response "Did we watch "The Grinch"?"

Why yes.  Yes we did.  I was ready and prepared to do the same this year but the Broncos were on and... well... they were winning.  It was an internal struggle.  But the Mile High Salute won out. #GoBroncos  (Yes, my Twitter hashtags don't work here, but I'm a fan of the hashtags!)

Pumpkins are carved.  Seeds are cooked.  Candy is safely away from Jacks sniffing and rooting nose...  

And then... just now... I remembered that since our remodel... we haven't had a doorbell.  Huh.  Soooo... that's great.  I have like 14 bags of halloween candy.  

Oh.  I.  Know....  I'll just have The Dad hang out on the front porch on Wednesday  night.  Yeeeaaahhhh.  That's the ticket.  After all, we don't want any candy bars left behind either!


1 comment:

sources of antioxidants said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.