Saturday, October 27, 2012

Oh What A Night!

Late October in 2012... What a very special time for me...

My pops bought me (us) tickets to see "Jersey Boys" for my birthday.  The Dad then planned, on top of pops gift, to make that night "birthday night" and take me to Clingerdaggers for my favorite dinner.

We were seated at Table 20, which was actually across from the tables closest to the windows - which was preferable for me since it's cold outside now.  We ordered up the crab dip, a glass of wine... his Washington Red Apple martini and so it begins.

Across from our table was a table of 10.  Nine men.  One woman.  Each of the men were wearing a different color and style of "Comcast" shirts.  Everyone was being polite and they were idly chit chatting.  As their meal was served and everyone settled in - they were now full on in conversations and enjoying themselves.  At one point, the one lady, raised her glass and thanked them all.  At this point - and a glass of wine in myself, I told The Dad - "I'm going to go work there."

Our dinner was served, we inhaled it - but I ordered a big enough portion to have left overs the next day.  I'm no dummy!  As we were finishing up our meal, a few of the guys at the table across from us had left and two were getting up and readying themselves to leave.  At this point they say:

CCG's:  "Sorry we were so loud at our table."
WOTY:  "Oh no.  You guys were fine.  I thought perhaps you were talking over me."
CCG's:  "Oh.  No.  We have a couple of loud talkers"
WOTY:  "Oh yea?  Which ones?"
CCG's:  "Well the guy that was sitting right there (pointing at empty spot)..."
WOTY:  "Oh.  The guy that had to go pick up his kids?"
CCG's:  "Yeh... <laughing> and then the guy that was there in the red shirt..."
WOTY:  "Ahhh ya.  And the guy that ordered his dessert to go."
CCG's: <to each other>  "Man!  She's got it down"  <to me>  "You're good!"

They leave and I look to The Dad and say... "Yep, I'm going to go work there."

The Dad says... <sighing>  "Just what I need.  My wife hanging out with all of those guys."

So we leave and head to the Performing Arts Center - AKA OPERA HOUSE.  We take our seats in the very very front row and we watch this great show.  Great.  Really really great.  Loved it.  Made me want to see it again aaaaannnnnnnnndddd, also ruined any future shows for me unless...

I am sitting in THE FRONT ROW.  So, The Dad needs to hurry up and get employed so we can purchase tickets to "Rock of Ages" and "West Side Story".  

After the show - the cast make an announcement.  Well... "Bobby" and "Frankie" do.  They are raising money to help fight aids diseases, alzheimers, etc and for a small donation you can get this, that, or the other thing - signed by the cast.  We could have walked right out the door by our auditorium entrance, but I told The Dad I'd like to go see which cast members were out in the lobby for this money raising post show "event".  So up we walked and as we looked over the edge - we could see several and I made note of one guy over by the furthest exit from the stairs.  No biggy... just remember it.  I told The Dad, that I was going to make a donation for one of the posters to have our friends frame with the tickets to go in our great theater room downstairs.  As we hit the bottom of the steps, that guy clear over by the door... made his way to us and said <to Jeff> "You were the guy sitting in the front row, right?"  I cocked my head and looked to The Dad... <oh my> and then they and I sat and chatted for several minutes about this show, other shows he's come through Spokane on and about what a great time it looked like The Dad was having in the front row.

So - to back this up a little - after the show and as we were ascending the steps to descend the other steps - I told The Dad.  "Forget Comcast.  I'm going to be an usher here.  So I can see all of the shows.  No... wait.  Forget that.  I'm just going to move to New York and audition for shows.  I'll do anything."  To which The Dad responds with a chortle and a sigh with a...  "My wife..."

As we walked out I said to The Dad... "I should so be in theater."  To which he nervously responded... "Apparently, so should I."

So... the nice thing is - we both got hit on while we were out on a date.  The not so  nice thing is...  we were both hit on... by MEN.  

But wait!  It gets better!  As we were pulling out of our parking spot and The Dad was at the parking lot exit on Spokane Falls Blvd, we were directly across the street from where some of the troupe was heading out.  And there was "Bobby" (John Rochette).  Adorable, cute, witty, "Bobby".  The Dad recognizes him and is amazed that they are standing there, just right there... practically on the street.  (It's not like they are GEORGE CLOONEY OR BRAD PITT darlin').  So he's so excited as he sees Bobby/John start to walk towards the light that he starts to pull out AND roll down my window!  He almost had me taken out Gary Bertier style ("Remember the Titans") and I had a few choice words for him, rolled up my window and reminded him that Bobby's name wasn't "Bobby".  So he rolled up my window.  Thank GOD!

He finally pulls on to the street - safely.  The light changes and as Bobby/John starts to cross the street, The Dad again rolls down my window and  yells "Great job tonight Bobby!"

Oh.
My.
God.

Bobby/John looks up and in his New York accent says "Hey tanks man!"

And I say "His name isn't BOBBY!"

And The Dad says "But he got right into character when I said that."

Like that makes it any less embarrassing?  Not so much.  But it made his night... and I've got to give him that because he and my dad - made mine with these gifts!

Love you guys.  Tanks again!

No comments: