Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dear Hair Gods...

Once upon a time I had really pretty hair!  And considering I had really fat legs - I had to take what I could get and capitalize on my hair.  Only back in the "Once Upon A Time" time, I was 16 to 18 and didn't know that guys really liked long hair. Like it was a condition to date or something. So mostly all it did was make me feel better about myself because people complimented on it.

Fast Forward to age 40.  After years of battle between all of my personalities:  My Will Power personality won out for 18 months!  I happen to have the very good fortune of having really healthy hair (I'm sure it's my chardonnay supplements that help this) so usually just go in for my highlights and maybe once every 6 months get a trim.  I was looking back on last Thanksgiving time and Christmas and EWU games that went clear into December last year (sigh... ) and how freakin long my hair had gotten for the first time since I was pregnant with  my oldest (who will be 22 next Tuesday).

Then it happened.  We flew to Dallas, Texas for the FBS Championship between our EWU Eagles and Delaware Blue Hens.  I was coming down with a nasty sinus infection and dang it if there wasn't humidity in Frisco, Texas!  I managed to make it through the first two days down there without letting it affect me but my nerves were beating the chardonnay supplements to a pulp.  The chardonnay and appletini's weren't winning and I was feeling that tug.  

I was feeling my worst the day of the game and nothing was working.  The "little" Minn boys were hungry and tired of eating at the hotel restaurant.  Or perhaps we were tired of them eating there because it wasn't necessarily cheap.  So we drove down some road to some center where there happened to be some donut place and it was there, while Jeff was in picking out the donuts, that I searched on my then handy Droid for a salon somewhere in the vacinity of "we don't know where we are, but seriously needing a salon".  And luck be a lady if there wasn't a place in the hoity toity center across from our hotel!  Jeff told me I didn't want to do it and of course I gave him that wifely look that said "You don't know what you're talking about." Followed by the "I'm going to be SO MUCH HAPPIER once I have this done, because it will be SO MUCH EASIER" look.  Followed by the "If you say ANOTHER word, or even look at me look, you will wish you could sit alone, naked, at the game, next to Vice President Biden."  And so, he didn't.  And of course later, I had words for him for not stopping me.

First of all - the salon was pretty sweet and trendy and I thought I was likely going to spend equal to what I spent here or more - especially when they asked if I'd like a glass of chardonnay.  I'm NOT kidding.  I declined because it was only 11:00 AM AND because I thought it might affect my ability to say "No, please don't cut it any shorter than that."  In retrospect, I probably should have had the wine.  *&^#%(*  

So I cut it, short...  above the shoulders and LOVED it that day.  Loved it the ENTIRE day and into the night.  I suppose some of that has to do with the fact that EWU won the National Championship and our boys and so many people we've met while oldest son has been on the team were all there, celebrating!  So much fun!  Totally want a repeat but, since we can't do that this year, will suffice for next year - January 2013!

Back to reality and to my then hair stylist here three weeks later to highlight and trim it up a bit to even out the lengths and such.  Annnnddddd we're back to square one.  Damn the humidity.  Damn the sinus infection.  Damn my husband!  If only he would have TRIED harder to talk me out of such a stupid decision!

There is good news in here somewhere...  I'm now 11 months in to growing it out again.  "Will Power" took over and is determined to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is planned to mess with the "do".  She also found a new hair stylist in July that is a fraction of the cost, much easier to talk to and doesn't make me feel shameful when I say "No, I don't think I need a trim just yet."   11 down, 7 more to get to where I was a year ago.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

P.S. - The Salon in Frisco, chardonnay and all... was CHEAPER than my gal here.  In case you were wondering.






No comments: